Shot - 5 (B)

It was the buzz of the intercom that woke him up.  A second later she woke up too. Lifting her head up from his chest, she looked at him,  slightly disoriented. “I need to take that,” he said softly, pointing towards his desk. She moved away quickly and he walked to his desk to pick the call.

They had been talking and she didn't realize when she had dozed off in his arms. Suppressing a yawn, she leaned back on the sofa and watched him. The black shirt he was wearing didn't fit him as well as it used to. As he ran his hand through his hair repeatedly, she noted that he needed a haircut. But what needed to be fixed immediately was that sullen expression on his face.

“Problem?” she asked, as he walked back to her.

“Chalo,” He gestured her to get up.

“Kahan?” She leaned forward but did not get up.

“Tumhare clinic ke liye jagah dekhne jaana hai na?”

“Abhi nahi.. Kal jaayenge.” She leaned back lazily.

“We shouldn’t delay such things.” He extended his hand to her. She grabbed his hand and tried to pull him down to sit with her. He complied without much resistance. She leaned closer and bringing her hand up, stretched the corners of his mouth with her fingers.  “Smile,” she whispered. He brushed her hand away.

“Smile Raman,” she pestered. He tried half-heartedly but that resulted in a grimace. She huffed and moved away.  
His mind was busy trying to figure out a way to somehow convince her to let him gift her the clinic space. But he knew that was easier said than done. He still remembered the way her eyes had sparkled, the first time she had spoken about it. It was something very close to her heart. But she was the kind who believed in working towards one's dream and hence may not appreciate it, if he tries to hand it to her on a platter. So he will have to be real smart about it. He also wanted to take her and the kids out on a surprise family vacation. He may not be able to go back in time and take back those words but he wanted to give her new happy memories.  He wanted to see that sparkle in her eyes again.

Seeing his face so grave, she wondered what it would take to change his mood and bring a smile to his face. And then she remembered something.

“Aap ko pata hai.. Ek bohat khaas insaan aaj mujhse milne aaya tha.”  

“Mihir,” he said, without batting an eyelid.

“He told you?” She wanted to create some suspense around it and get him all curious. But that was not to be.

“No. But I know how his stupid mind works,” he replied with the same disinterested expression and started to check something on his phone.

“Gift bhi laya mere liye.” Surely that should pique his interest, she thought.

He mumbled something inaudible, but she managed to catch a few words. Bewakoof,  Gadha , Bhabhi ka chamcha..

She didn't have to suppress her smile, because he didn’t bother to look up from his phone. Opening her handbag, she carefully extracted the items. Earlier, while stuffing them into her handbag before leaving the clinic, she hadn’t given it much thought. Except that, she didn't want to leave them on the table or fish out the keys again to open the drawer to lock them in, and that Pihu may take a liking to the blue tortoise.

After laying them on the coffee table in front of them, she cleared her throat loudly to get his attention.

He saw them and almost scoffed at them, but the image triggered a memory, vague at first, but clearing rapidly.

She watched him amusedly, as his facial expressions kept changing, until finally realization dawned and he let out a colorful curse making her cringe.