Chapter 6

Gabi's POV

After school, while waiting for the bus, I check my phone.

@ddlovato requested to follow you

I scream to myself a little, then accept her request and get on the bus to go home. I don't know why she would follow me. Maybe it's because she was friends with Dad and decided to follow his daughter.

At home, I try hard to contain my excitement. Dad isn't home yet, but that's not much of a surprise since he normally only gets home around supper time. At 5 o'clock, Dad still isn't home, so I call his cell phone number, then his work number. No answer.

I jolt up in my seat as I hear the doorbell ring. I slowly get up from my chair and walk to the door. I peak through the peephole to see a police officer standing outside it and immediately think the worst.

Opening the door, I say, "Hello? What can I do for you?"

"Does a Joe Jonas live here?" the officer asks and I nod with a gulp. "Well, he was in a car accident on Main Street and we're not sure if he's going to make it."

I look up at the officer. "Can you take me there?" I ask.

She nods and I follow her into the police car, then we drive to the hospital.

Arriving at the hospital, my heart starts to pound out of my chest and my hands coat in sweat. I hope that Dad's okay.

The police officer sits me in the waiting room then leaves to go talk to the front desk.

"Hello? Miss Jonas?" a nurse says, looking around the room.

I stand up and walk over to her. "Is my dad alright?"

"Just come with me," she replies, leading me into the elevator, onto the second floor, and into the ICU.

I see my dad through the glass window immediately. He's bruised and bandaged and hooked up to more machines than I can count.

"We need to decide what's going to happen," the nurse says. "Either we keep him on life support and he stays a vegetable for the rest of his life, or we take him off life support and see what happens. Either way, it probably won't be good."

A tear slides down my cheek as I look at my dad sleeping peacefully. "Whatever you think is best," I say, a sob escaping through my parted lips.

The nurse leans over to talk to another nurse and doctor and they let me into the room. "Say your final goodbyes," they say, and I know that my life is over. What will I do without him?

I slowly walk into the room and look at Dad before I start to talk, "Hey Dad. I know that you can't hear me, but I will miss you when you're gone. I don't know where I'll stay or what will happen to me but I know that you will watch over me." I stop talking as I sob into my hands, leaving the room before I break down completely.

I know that he's gone when the nurse steps into the waiting room and looks at me with a sad face. She motions for me to follow her and I do.

"His funeral will be next week and everyone who your grandma invites, is welcome," the nurse says, pointing to my grandma who has appeared in the doorway of the hospital.

After the funeral, I pack up some boxes and a backpack, and grandma and I drive to the airport before we fly to LA where she lives. I don't know what will happen.

No one that I really knew was at the funeral. It was in Mew York and Dad lived in LA for a lot of his life so a lot of his friends couldn't make it.

How did my life come to this? Why couldn't I just be normal?