Chapter 3: "Never Be Alone"

The drive back to the hospital was quiet

The drive back to the hospital was quiet. Justin was acting weird; my mother didn't really know what to say to me anymore. I knew she was relieved that she didn't have to bury me today but a part of me still wishes that it was me and not Miley.

With the help of a couple of nurses, everyone got me settled back into my hospital room. The doctor wanted me in there for at least a few more days to make sure my ribs and leg were healing properly.

"I'm going to let the two of you talk." My mom stated as she left the room awkwardly. I noticed Justin nervously playing with his hands and the sleeve of his black button down, he was not really looking at me like he had before we left the funeral home. I looked through the window in the door and noticed my mom talking to a nurse and pointing in here like something was wrong but I kind of just blew it off. She was weird and overprotective and even more so this last week.

"So, I was thinking since we have half the summer left, we could plan all the movie marathons we could ever have since we are both a little immobile." I laughed trying to ease the tense vibes Justin was giving off.

"As fun as that sounds, I won't be able to." He gave me this look of guilt and sadness and shame.

"Why not?" I asked him concerned.

"Selena, remember that promise you made me?" He sat down next to me on the edge of my bed, careful to avoid the cast on my leg.

"Yeah." I could hear the panic increasing in my own voice.

"I need you to keep reminding yourself of that promise. Right now, and for the rest of summer and your senior year."

"Our senior year." Why did it feel like he was about to leave me?

"No, baby. I won't be there."

"What do you mean you won't be there?" My chest was rising and falling at a rapid rate as I tried to make sense of what he was trying to tell me.

"Selena, I was driving a vehicle under the influence. I put your life in danger. I put our friends lives in danger. I put any innocent person who was out walking that night in danger. Someone has to pay for the consequences of what happened that night. And it's not you because it was not your fault. You were not driving that car. You were not in control. I was."

"It was my idea though." I cried out not liking where this conversation was heading.

"You suggested it and I followed through. It is my fault. I'm taking a plea deal, so we can avoid a long trial and more pain. It's only a year in Juvie, Selena, and a year of probation. And then I'll be out, and we can enjoy the rest of our lives together. You promised you weren't going to let consequences interrupt your happiness." He took my hand into his and kissed my forehead.

"I didn't know the consequences you were referring to. How long have you known?" I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my cheeks and onto the white sterile blanket of the hospital. I just lost my best friend and now I'm losing my boyfriend too.

"I found out two days ago. That's why I couldn't see you right away after I got released from the hospital. I was arrested and had my hearing."

"You've known for two days that you were going to leave me, and you didn't think to tell me until now?" I whispered as I took my hand away from his.

"I didn't want to tell you until after the funeral. You didn't need anymore hurt at that point, Selena. You weren't eating as it was."

"That dinner, the pancakes, the dress, the dance, it was all because you were guilty? Of what? The fact that my boyfriend is not going to be able to take me to my senior homecoming, prom? I have no one left." I choked out. My shoulders convulsed as I tried to catch my breath through the sobs that were taking over my body.

"I don't want to leave you, trust me. This plea deal was my best option though, baby. It was our best option. They gave me time to attend the funeral, to say goodbye to you, they didn't have to do that, Selena. It was not worth having a big trial over, I made a mistake and I needed to own up to it."

"Do their parents blame you?" I whispered.

"No. Baby, they don't. They know Liam also chose to get in a car that night. Liam's car hit mine. And as much as I hate saying it, I am lucky I didn't hit his. If I hit his car and they died, I'd be facing a lot more than a year in Juvie, Selena"

"What am I supposed to do?" I looked up into his golden eyes, not wanting to forget a detail in his face as I realized I wouldn't be seeing his face for an entire year.

"Kick-ass. That's what you're supposed to do. Show the world the strong Selena Marie Milano that I fell in love with. I'll call you, we can write letters, they have visitation days, we will make this work."

I couldn't speak anymore. I was in so much pain. It felt like everything was on fire. It physically felt like my heart was shattering. The tears fell down my cheeks and onto my lips making me taste the salty reality of what my life has become. I sobbed as Justin wrapped me into his arms. I felt his own tears drop onto my head. I needed him.

We held onto each other as long as we could that night but eventually I had to say goodbye. It was incredibly painful knowing that I wouldn't see his face again for a long time. I wasn't sure when the visitation days would be or if I would even be able to convince myself to go and see him in such a terrible environment.

"I love you." He whispered before kissing my forehead and walked out of the hospital room without looking back at me.