Chapter 11: "Hold On"

I made my way over to my father's car after saying goodbye to Demi

I made my way over to my father's car after saying goodbye to Demi. I was grateful for all of Taylor's friends for being as welcoming as they had been, but she was someone I could really see myself becoming friends with. I opened the passenger door of the Porsche and got in.

"Taylor told me you liked cars." My father smirked as he pulled out of the pickup area and onto the road.

I nodded as I glanced around the interior of the car admiring everything about it.

"This ones off limits for both of you but I figured since you never answered your sixteenth birthday card and-."

I cut him off before he could finish. "I never got any cards. My mom hid them from me."

"Oh." He said as his eyebrows furrowed. "Anyways, in the card I asked if I could go out there and buy you a car. Taylor got his truck for his sixteenth and I wanted you to be able to have a car too. But when I didn't get an answer I figured you didn't want it or something."

"No, she just made me believe you didn't even care enough about me to remember my birthday for twelve years."

"I'm sorry, Selena. I should have pressed her more. I should have fought harder for you, I just thought you didn't want me to."

"Don't apologize. It's not your fault." I looked down at the grey carpeting of the car.

"Anyways," he started, "what's your dream car?"

"Purple Jeep." I stated with hesitation. I had an entire Pinterest bored dedicated to the cars I wanted and purple Jeeps filled most of it.

"Like a Wrangler? I can do that." He smiled.

"What?" I asked, not sure if I should believe what he was hinting at.

"I'll get you a purple Jeep. We might have to special order it though, I don't know if Frank would have one on hand." He shrugged as we pulled into a dealership.

"You're buying me a car?" I asked in disbelief. "I would be totally fine with a beater. Something that would just get me around. Don't spend anymore money on me." I shook my head. He had already done so much for me. He didn't need to be wasting so much money on a brand-new car.

"Do you have a car in Wisconsin?" He asked after parking his car.

"No." I stated honestly.

"So, you need a car. You need something that can get you to whatever college you decide to go to and I want you to have the freedom to get you wherever you want to go while you're out here. And frankly, I can't keep picking you up after school when Taylor's got practice."