Chapter 17: "Friends"

Monday

It was the first day of spirit week for homecoming and it was the classic Pajama day, aka sweatpants are acceptable day. I was stoked as I walked out of my bedroom with a pair of grey joggers on and Demi's school sweatshirt I had yet to return.

"That's all you're wearing?" Taylor stated as I walked into the kitchen. I turned towards his voice to notice his outfit. He was wearing footie-pajamas, a robe, and was holding a teddy bear to complete the look. I couldn't help but smirk as I realized how dedicated he was.

"You don't actually look like that when you sleep." I shook my head as I chuckled.

"Neither do you with all that makeup on your face." He mocked.

"Shut up." I giggled as I shoved him playfully before grabbing my keys for the jeep.

...

Taylor pulled into the parking lot shortly after I did, so we walked together to find everyone before the bell rang. As we approached the group, I quickly realized that I was out of the loop when it came to spirit week. I was dressed very boringly compared to everyone else. They all had fun pajamas, robes, slippers, etc. Turns out sweatpants were still not acceptable. I was learning very quickly that homecoming was a big deal out here. Dress-up days, proposals, outfits, before and after-party plans were all serious business. It seemed as if my life was planned to a T. We had themes and stuff back in Wisconsin too, but no one put that much effort into them. Out here, however, was a different story.

"Where's your school spirit, Canada?" Shawn asked making me feel more out of place.

"No one told me that you guys were this serious about all of this." I laughed nervously.

"Give her a break, Shawn. She still looks good, but it's probably because she's wearing my sweatshirt." Demi teased as Lauren hung onto her neck a little tighter.

Tuesday

I made sure to put a little more effort into my outfit for Tuesday. It was Superheroes vs Villain's Day and Taylor was nice enough to take me with him to the store after football practice, so we could get capes and masks. Instead of going with a standard character like Batman or Spider-man, we decided to be our own superheroes. He had a green cape and glued a blue T on his and I had a purple cape with a blue S on mine. Taylor wanted to go all out with tights and I didn't ask questions because according to how Monday went, I failed spirit week.

Demi was dressed as Harley Quinn, and Lauren was dressed like the Joker. Seemed fitting but I wasn't a fan. The rest of the group was a mixture of Marvel and DC characters, with Taylor and I being the only ones not using fictional characters.