Tape 5 Side A

I've got a question for you, Justin

I've got a question for you, Justin. Not the one you think. Not yet.

What's the best part of high school? The great friends you make? The romance?

No.

We both know the best part of high school... is summer break. It's the great reset button. And after everything that happened to me sophomore year... I couldn't wait to start fresh... to tear the rest of the pages from my journal and forget it all.

Except I didn't get very far. At work, my usual partner in crime was spending the summer with his grandparents. His temporary replacement was nice enough, but entirely too normal. And I couldn't escape my past.

Even outside of work, the Bonnie to my Clyde was also away and not being around her sucked a lot more than I expected it to.

I needed a change. I needed to be someone new. Have you ever felt like that? I wasn't going to be invisible anymore. I was going to start brand new.

I was going to cut away the past... and leave it all behind. I was going to work harder. Be smarter. And be stronger.

Because you can't change other people, but you can change yourself.

"Wow."

"I know, I know," Hannah held a hand up to Chloe as she stared at the new haircut. "It was spontaneous."

"Yeah... different," Chloe nods.

"A good different?"

"A good different," she smiles. "Hannah, babe, you'd look beautiful with no hair at all."

"That's a lot coming from you," she shyly brushes some hair behind her shoulder.

"What do you mean?"

"Chloe, you're the most gorgeous girl at Liberty. To me, at least."

"You do no good to my ego, Han," Chloe shakes her head and Hannah raises a single eyebrow.

"Han? That's new."

"You were right. Hannah Banana is too long," Chloe shrugs with a smile as Hannah laughs. "It's a bit of a sore to a sentence, anyway."

"Hey, Helmet," Hannah greeted as she walked through the front doors of the cinema.

Clay, who lied horizontally on the ground, merely glanced up at her whilst scraping at gum from underneath the Seats.

"Sorry I'm late, on gum-scraping day of all days," she apologized. "Hope you saved me some good ones."

"You snooze, you lose," his voice trails off when his eyes land on her, fully taking her in. It was the first time seeing her since he'd gone for his grandparents earlier that summer and he was nearly speechless when he realized her new haircut.