The Day We Turn into School Chumps

~Katniss POV~

My hands sweat as mommy french braids two pigtails to the back of my head.

''This dress is itchy mommy,'' I whimper. ''And rather ugly might I add.''' It's short sleeved with red and white plaid that comes above my knees with a white belt. I don't like it.

''I don't like that additude, little miss.''

''And I don't like this dress but you see me dealing with it.'' Whoops. Mommy turns me around with an angry look on her face.

''What did you just say, young lady.'' I hesitate and put on a hopeful smile.

''I love you mommy?'' She rolls her eyes and turns me back around towards the mirror.

''That's what I thought you said.'' She starts tying the bow at my waist as I itch at my stockings.

''Mommyyyy can I take off these tiiiiights?'' I whine. I hate having my legs covered. It makes me feel stuffy and closed up.

''No ma'am.'' I let out a whimper. She pats my bottom. ''There you go. You're ready for school!'' She exclaims excitedly. I just scowl at my outfit. It is nothing like me. She stands up. ''Well get your backback, it's almost time for you to go.'' She leaves my room and I keep scowling at my outfit. Then before I know it, I'm ripping off the Mary Jane's and off with the stockings. I hurriedly jump into my converse and tie them the best I can. I look at my reflection. Much better. I pick up my grey backpack and run down the stairs, looking around the corner to see if mommy's there. Her back is to me as she feeds Prim in her high chair and I quietly sneak out the door.

''Bye mommy, I'm LEAVINGG.'' I yell with only my head inside.

''Okay, have fun and learn a lot!'' I slam the door and sprint down the hill towards the bakery. I skid to a hault and run inside. Rye, David, and Peeta look up when I do and grin.

''Hi Kat!'' Peet exclaims. He looks nice, wearing pants instead of shorts and and a grey and blue button up shirt.

''Hi Peet,'' I pant, walking over to them.

''Did you run?'' David asks, filling up his backpack at the counter. I nod, coming over next to Peeta.

''You look nice today.'' He says, tugging on one of my braids. I grin.

''So do you.'' He smiles.

''Alright alright, roll call, line UP.'' Mr. Mellark announces, striding in. We line up shortest to tallest, me at the end. He puts his hands on Rye's shoulders. ''Rye. Only one more year and you're off the middle school. Let's not be saying that next year.''Rye grins and nods as he moves onto David. ''David. Keep your shirt tucked in and the mustard off your face and you should do just fine.'' David tucks in his shirt at these words and Mr. Mellark kneals down to Peeta. ''Peeta. Stay out of the fifth grade hallway and you should survive.''He grins and nods, Mr. Mellark moving on to me. His eyes grow, now noticing I'm here. ''Well I know YOU'RE not one of my sons.'' I laugh.

''My daddy had to leave for work this morning so I couldn't get any last minute advice. Can I have some?'' He chuckles.

''Sure. Keep smiling that pretty smile of yours, the guys dig that kind of stuff.'' I giggle. ''You should all get going, you don't want to be late your first day.'' He gives us all a hug and we head out the door, yelling goodbyes over our shoulders and starting down the street. I slip my trembling hand into Peeta's as we walk behind Rye and David, who found some friends to walk with.

''You nervous?'' He says softly. I nod at the ground. ''Why? We'll still have time to play.'' I shrug.

''New kids.'' I murmur.