Chapter Five

Chapter Five: Ray’s POV

I watch Avery’s back as she heads into her apartment building and smile. It was such a wonderful night, just walking in the park with her after we had finished dinner. Looking up at the building, I cringe at how trashy the place seems. It just doesn’t seem safe for a small girl like Avery and don't feel comfortable having her in there all alone. Combine that with the fact that she had almost no food, I hated leaving her. I could lend her some money, or even pay for a new home for her. She probably wouldn’t allow that, but I’m not letting her stay here forever. It wasn’t that I actually cared about the woman, it was just if paparazzi had decided to follow us, they would see me leave her here.

As I’m walking back home, I realize that I just met this woman. Why in the world do I keep thinking about her? I thought after having that fight with her yesterday, we would never talk again. But here I was, taking her out to dinner, then walking around the park with her. If someone were to see me holding her hand, what would they think? A famous author holding hands with a girl who looks homeless? It was just unheard of! I mean, yeah, she was fun to be around, but people might think I’m trying to help out a charity case and this could make it seem like I’m trying to get publicity. Or worse, they could assume I’m dating her. I was Ray West, author extraordinaire. I would not date someone who dresses like they’re homeless and lives in what seems like a shelter. I would not date someone who wasn’t use to the spotlight. Someone with a small amount of fame knew how to handle it, and wouldn’t bring my name down.

Besides, she’s nothing special. I could easily replace her with someone who looks ten times better, has a better attitude, and has less baggage.

I began the walk to my car, which I had parked in a garage nearby, as Avery and I had walked to the restaurant and to the park. Imagine if she had seen my car. Would she have been amazed by how expensive it is? Or would she have just gotten in without a word?

I stop thinking about her once I reach my car. I click the unlock button on my car keys, and open the door to my Tesla. I climb into the driver’s side, and start the engine. After doing this, I begin the journey home.

****

I pull up to my penthouse and exit the car, locking it behind me. Heading up the elevator, I get off on the third floor where my apartment is. I shove my keys into my door and enter my house. Going into the bathroom, I shower and get ready for bed, before turning off the lights and climbing into bed.

****

I roll out of bed to the sound of my alarm, pushing my bed head out of my face. I stumble into the kitchen, where I begin to prepare the coffee machine for my routine cup. With a steaming cup in hand, I walk over to the couch, which is covered in comfortable throw pillows. I turn on the television with the remote I pick up from the coffee table. After I watch the news for a while, I get up from the couch and get dressed. I am now ready to start working on my new books.

As I am sitting on my desk with my laptop in front of me, watching the black cursor blink over and over again, I notice an old leather-bound journal lying on a pile of old story notes. I reach over and grab it, flipping the cover open and looking through the pages to find it empty. With no story inspiration, I begin to jot down small thoughts that I have about Avery. I keep writing and don’t seem to notice that I’ve written over five pages until I finally stop. The thoughts just seem to keep flowing. It was like my writer’s block vanished, even if it was only for a moment. It’s not some random fictional story, instead,  it’s my feelings.

Realizing that it is half past noon, I decide that I need lunch. Not feeling like cooking, I exit my penthouse, ready to go out and eat. As I reach my car, I stop and pause for a moment. What was Avery going to eat for lunch? I wonder if I should go over and ask if she would like to come out and eat with me. Not a date of course. Avery is just not my type.