2. New Student

"I'm sorry for disappearing on you like that," Kiara said jotting down a few notes on a chart.

"It's all good. What happened to you?" Mikey said as he adjusted his recovering leg on the bed.

"I uh... ran into a little mishap while... helping another patient," she said confused. She was still having a hard time wrapping her mind around what had happened herself. Elijah had dropped her off back at the hospital once he felt she was well enough to stand on her own.

"You bump your head or something?" Mikey said nodding to the wound on her head.

Kiara touched her forehead remembering. "Yea... I can be clumsy."

"And you're my nurse?? Nah, fam," Mikey joked.

"Boy! Shuddup," she laughed slapping him playfully on the leg. "You're recovering well. A few more hours with the IV and you should be good for release."

"Aight, coo. Thanks, Kiara."

She nodded to him with a smile.

***

Kiara packed her things getting ready to leave after a long shift. She saw the head nurse Patricia walking to another room.

"Hey! Patricia!" she said jogging to her.

"Yea? What is it? I got things to do," Patricia said impatiently.

"Do you know what happened to that injured paramedic?" she asked.

"What injured paramedic?"

"The one who got attacked outside trying to help me," Kiara said to her.

"There was no injured paramedic," Patricia said exasperated.

Kiara looked at her confused. "That's impossible. He was practically mauled to shreds. How is he not here."

"Kiara, I already told you. There was no one outside. There was no injured paramedic. Now stop wasting my time, I have to go." Patricia turned on her heel and briskly walked away.

Kiara watched her stunned and even more confused than before.

***

The next couple days flew by as Kiara excitedly prepared for her first week at Excalibur University. She stepped onto the campus feeling a range of emotions: excitement, anxiety, apprehension, determination.

She looked up at the large building taking in its old Gothic architecture, typical of the small New England city.

"Beautiful," she said to herself before walking down the pathway. She looked at the college students sitting on the front grass and on the steps, talking and reading. Some were playing ball and the others listening to loud music.

She shifted her bag on her shoulder as she scanned the area, when she landed on a familiar pair of blue eyes looking her way before disappearing into the building.

"Alexander?"

"LOOK OUT!"

She looked up just in time to be knocked to the ground by a guy wearing a white shirt and jean jacket with a football in his arm.

Leo