Chapter 7

The hotel is surrounded by a SWAT team, some in the windows of the neighboring buildings, and others at the hotel's entrances. Ashley has been negotiating with the man in charge, and so far he's been cooperating. They got us pizzas and water bottles to hold us over until the problem is resolved. I have my arm around Jenna and her head is resting on my shoulder as I listen to the side of the conversation that I can hear.

"I need you to guarantee that I will not be charged for first degree murder. It was self defense, Monty would have killed Josh and Tyler, and even me." Ashley says into the phone.

The man must have tried to bargain too little too soon because Ashley scowls as she listens.

"No! They're staying right here, and since you're not cooperating, I can't promise that they're all safe." Ashley quickly walks over to us and points her gun at Zack. "Who should I hurt first?" She growls at him.

"Me." I speak up. "Hurt me. Please don't hurt them."

"Aw, big brother taking a bullet for little brother, so sweet. I think you've already had enough fun, though, don't you think?" She asks, a deadly smile creeping across her face. "How about we give the princess a turn." She aims the gun at Jenna.

"No!" I jump to protect her, but instead I get Ashley's foot smashed onto my still-healing ribs.

I fall back against the wall, my oxygen rushing out and unable to find its way back in. My face is pressed into the wall as I try to breathe, pain blossoming through my entire body.

"You." I hear Ashley say. "Come with me." There are shuffling noises next to me as someone stands and follows her. I turn my head and see Zack standing with Ashley at the door. "You're the lucky winner, handsome." She says and shoots Zack without even blinking. His body falls backwards, from the force of the bullet, onto the bed and slides off onto the floor, out of view. Jenna muffles a scream and buries her face into my side.

"Don't worry, he's not dead." Ashley says, kneeling next to him. She taps the side of his shoe with the barrel of the pistol and examines him closer. "At least I think he's not."

"Oh, come on! Is he or isn't he?" I yell. "If you killed him I swear I'll-"

"You'll what? Write a song about it?" She laughs, "You're so dramatic, Ty." Zack moans, slowing the anger building in me. "Well I'll be. He is alive." Ashley helps him off of the floor and steadies him before he can fall over again. "Make yourself useful, Tyler, and help Zack out the door while I make sure no one misbehaves." She nods for me to come to her, while holding Zack with one hand and the gun in her other. I stand up and quickly cross the room and put an arm around him.

"I gotcha." I whisper in his ear. "You'll be okay, Zacky."

I look over at Ashley to see her tying Jenna to the bed leg before coming back and waving her gun. "Go." She orders.

I open the door to the empty hallway and slowly step out, Ashley following. I lead us to the stairs and take them carefully, thankfully we're only on the second floor. Zack is losing lot of blood and it's dripping all down the both of us and into the carpet.

"I thought you didn't want to let any of us go." I say as we cross the lobby.

"A girls got a right to change her mind. And anyway, what good would it do to keep all of you in there? We have to spice up the game a little." She says.

At the main doors, Ashley uses me as a shield while I hand Zack over to the medics waiting outside.

When we're back in the hotel room, I think about everything that's been happening and come to the conclusion that yes, Ashley is slightly crazy, but she couldn't have been like this her whole life. She seemed so normal and nice at the piano store. I notice a little red dot over Ashley's heart that puzzles me for a minute, until I realize what it is. Ashley sees that I'm staring and looks down. She knows what it is right away and drops to the floor. There's the sound of the window breaking, then a vase shatters on the table across from the window.