New Beginnings

Weeks have passed since the fight at the school. Luna hasn’t been seen since the school reopened three days later, and the boys were concerned. The mayor of New York made a statement the next day.

“This horrible break-in was unexpected. Even though no one was harmed in the commotion, I am happy to report that everyone from the school is safe and the damage has been cleaned up with the help of the cities crew. Video footage given to city hall shows the attackers and the brave souls that fought off these cruel people. Unconfirmed reports say that the attackers were werewolf rouges. It seems through the footage, they were intent on risking the lives and safety of those students.” The mayor pointed to the screen from the side of the tape being played. The entire fight, with the exception of the one on the outside, was playing. Sixteen figures faces were blurred out.

“To protect the identity of the heroes, we blurred out their faces. They each fought valiantly, saving the lives of each and everyone in this school. One in particular took the deathly shot in the process.This person’s whereabouts are not known. But I will say this. Whoever you are, wherever you are, this city is in your debt. You’ve done us a great deal, and we thank you.”  

The school continued, but the students were cautious. The Hamato brothers, The punks, and the Perez’s looked out for one another. Even Mia, who was now looking for Luna after a long conversation with her mother.

“Mia.” Rosalinda knocked on her daughters’ door, listening to the sniffles and cries from her baby girl. After a moment, Rosa let herself in with a book in her arms.

“Hija, please. I know you are upset but try to look at things from her point of view.”

“How can I, mom? She lied to me, to us! Luna is a death dealer, just like the one that killed dad.” Mia sat up, wiping the tears from her eyes.

“Oh darling, there is so much that you don't know. And that is my fault for keeping the truth from you.” Rosalinda sighed, looking at the book she carried in her hands. Mia looked at her mother with confusion.

“What do you mean?” Mia asked, her mother sitting next to the girl and opening the book. Pictures were neatly placed inside.  A photo album. Mia gazed at the photos of her father, the only time she can remember what he looked like.

“When I was just about your age, I met your father. I left somethings out when I would tell this story to you when you were little, but right now I’m going to tell you everything. You already know I came from a bad pack with an abusive alpha, but my pack had death dealers. I was a healer in training. One day, we had three male wolves come in with severe wounds from protecting the pack. I had to treat one of them since we were short staffed, so I was assigned a wolf. And with luck would have it, I met my mate. A death dealer.” Mia gasped softly.

“Our eyes locked, and I felt whole. I stood there, watching him and wondering what would happen. But then he reached out to me, and I knew that from that moment on we were going to be fine. After that, we still saw each other and our love grew and grew. But our alpha forbade the death dealers to be with someone from a different rank than their own, it made our relationship difficult in the open. Your father and I ran away in the middle of the night, we made a home in the countryside, and we thought we were safe. We were very wrong. After being found but a scout, we were ambushed. Death dealers were sent, and your father made me run away with your brother and you. Reluctantly, I left and your father died. But he died protecting us. Mia, your father wanted a life away from the life of a death dealer, to have a real family. Not all of them are cruel, there are a few out there wanting the greater of good. Hija, you are the daughter of a death dealer, you are part death dealer.” Rosalinda said, looking at her daughter. Mia looked at her hands, feeling sick to her stomach. She said so many awful things to Luna, the only person who was her friend to show her kindness. Her friend, she wished her friend dead. Looking up at her mother, she stuttered.