001 | Police Report

Cardiac arrest: When heart stops beating unexpectedly.

POLICE REPORT

CASE NO. 021087

DATE: 15 December 2017

REPORTING OFFICER: Chief Cha Eunwoo

INCIDENT:
On 14 December 2017, at 11:45 pm, Mr. Kang Soo Rae, Alexis Morgue Security Guard, was murdered at his workplace. He was stabbed by an automatic lockback knife, thrice, on the left side of his chest.

According to medical reports, his lungs and aorta were completely damaged and he had gone under a cardiac arrest immediately after the attack.

Weapon is still under investigation. Fingerprints have been found. Blood found on the weapon is of the victim.

The face of the murderer was not visible in the CCTV footage due to dim lights.

Family background is clear. No suspects yet.
-Investigation is still on-

ACTION TAKEN:
-Investigation is still on-

SUMMARY:
-Investigation is still on-

••••

"These are the statements of his family members and employer," Officer Yongsun said, handing Eunwoo a brown folder.

"What about the forensic team? Any new lead?" 

The papers slid out of the folder smoothly upon titling. Eunwoo glanced at the content, but his ears were focused on the officer. 

"None at all. The fingerprints didn't match with anyone yet, and they found nothing else."

Eunwoo hummed. A familiar feeling stirred in his stomach. 

'We are overlooking something,' a tiny voice said in his head. 

"What?" he whispered out loud. 

"Keys," Yongsun repeated. 

Eunwoo raised a eyebrow at her.

Clearly, he spaced out again. Leaning against his seat, he sighed and motioned his hand for Yongsun to continue. 

"The keys of the morgue are missing, sir. Kang was supposed to close mortuary by 9 p.m., so the keys should be with him," she explained. 

"We need to check the morgue again. This time, inside too. Couldn't do it in the morning. We'll leave in an hour," Eunwoo said, rubbing his neck thoughtfully. 

Yongsun just bowed in agreement, turned around and left. 

•••

His index finger traced the sentences line by line as Eunwoo read all the details thoroughly. He could not help, but ponder upon a strange, probably useless, connection. 

This is weird. 

But nonetheless, he noted it down in his mind, just for the sake of his hunch that was constantly nudging him.

He looked up at the clock.

I still have forty minutes in hand, he thought. 

Unknowingly, he grew impatient to leave. 

Biting his lip, his foot repeatedly tapped on the white marble floor. He gave in, and finally picked up the receiver. 

•••

One minute later, he found himself collecting all the documents and putting them safely in the folder, when his officer phone rang. 

"This is Busan Police Department. How may I help you?"

"Oh hello, Officer! I'm from Song Medical Center," a smooth female voice replied.

"Yes?"

"Someone here has applied for a death certificate."

He furrowed slightly. So?

"Are you sure you have called the right place?"

"Officer, this person has applied for his own death certificate."

[Rewritten: 11 July 2019]

[Edited: 7 June 2018]