003 | Morgue

The door was open

The door was open.

Just like a reflex, they took their guns out of their waist holsters and started walking towards the door stealthily to avoid making any kind of sound.

A maniac laugh was heard which made both of them froze near the morgue entrance.

Eunwoo's head shot up, eyes widen. Yongsun looked at her chief hesitantly, waiting for him to give orders.

"Catch him no matter what," Chief whispered as his grip tightened around his gun.

Another laugh. "Finally!"

A joyful yell could be heard outside.

Yongsun entered the morgue, following Eunwoo's lead, making minimal noise but the old, dirty wooden floor was creaking under their feet.

Faint scents of gloomy smell lingered in the air as soon as they stepped inside, making Eunwoo immediately mask his nose with the other hand.

Morgue green refrigerators lights and moonlight falling from the window, which was right across the long hall, illuminated the dark cold morgue. Two morgue autopsy beds near the entrance were occupied.

This is so old. Yongsun thought, sliding slowly behind her senior.

On squinting, they observed that a figure was sitting on one of the autopsy beds which was nearest to the window. His slender body was facing the window, away from the officers, and his hands were busy unfolding a white sheet; sounds, they couldn't decipher, escaped from his lips.

Eunwoo made eye contact with Yongsun for a moment and jerked his head sideways, signalling her to walk closer to the unknown figure. As he reached closer to him, he recognized that the figure was shirtless. His brows furrowed while his mind was trying to comprehend the guy's action.

But after a few seconds, the silence in the morgue was shattered.

"What do you want?!" his raspy voice echoed.

"Who are you! How come you have the keys!"

"You all disgust me." His voice was filled with mixed emotions - anger, disgust and, especially, fear.

He slipped the sheet back in the bed and stood up slowly. His body still facing the window. His heavy breathing and forced coughs were audible enough. It seemed as if he felt suffocated when they noticed how his shoulders were rising and falling.

Without any warning, he turned and threw the only object he had in his hand at Eunwoo, who stumbled back in shock and fell on his butt.

In one swift move, he opened the window and crossed it. Yongsun was surprised by his sudden actions because none of them had expected him to have something in his hand and looked at the chief for a millisecond.