004 | One more?

15 December 2017

15 December 2017

— 10:30 P.M.,
SONG MEDICAL CENTER

Jaehee was going through some files when the landline on her desk ringed. Dazed, she picked up the receiver.

"Hello, this is Song Medical Center. How may I help you?"

"Hello. I'm Dr. Jin from Seoul Hospital," a firm male voice replied.

Okay . . .? Jaehee furrowed. She could hear the man being a bit breathless.

"Yes?"

"Someone has applied for a death certificate today, I would like to cancel it," the voice replied.

"I'm sorry, sir. We can't cancel it over a phone call. It's against our rules. Besides, only the applicant can cancel the form."

She exhaled inaudibly, looking at the clock. The time was running crucially slow, even the phone call at this hour seemed add on to her misery.

"Miss"—he paused—"That 'applicant' is my patient. He applied for his own death certificate. How did your hospital even accept it?" the voice suddenly snapped.

It was enough to pull Jaehee out of her exhausted world. Her breathing grew faster.

She stood up from her seat suddenly and searched for the application form, without even bothering to reply.

How can he snap at me like that?

On the phone, Jin continued to call out for some reply. His voice echoed in the almost empty hall from the poor receiver which was left dangling on her desk.

She rolled her eyes when she read the applicant's name. Ugh, this one. She knew that the applicant was a crack case.

Shaking her head, she picked up the receiver. Jin was still going on with his 'hello? hello?'.

"Sir, it says that this is a case of suicide attempt."

"Don't you know that a suicide attempt leaves a deep impression on the victim? He's basically my patient and he's still alive. Heck, he's with me right now! How can you still keep his death certificate form when he's still breathing?!"

"But, sir, I really can't cancel this over a phone call—"

"Connect the call to the director right now, or consider yourself fired."