Chapter 1

"Where the hell is my brush?" I curse at myself and the universe for my improper placement. My room isn't that big and the thing couldn't have gone far. Why should I even get ready? I should just stay at home and begin my winter break early.

After 10 minutes of flipping every blanket and digging through drawers, I put my hair into a grungy ponytail. My hair whips me in the face and I think about grabbing the damn scissors and giving myself a fresh haircut. I stare into the mirror and think about what I would look like with a bob. I shudder and recall the days when I wished nothing more than to have my hair reach my hips. Now that I've accomplished just that, I guess it makes me a little proud that I actually accomplished one of my hopes in life.

I put on a loose maroon sweater, worn-out yet my most comfortable jeans, and some white keds. I could care less on the Monday before the break. I grab a granola bar and drive through the quiet streets to my weekly prison.

As I walk from my car to my first class, my mind wanders off to my cozy room. That's all I ever think about anymore. My bed and Liam Payne. Liam was the varsity quarterback as a junior. I watched him at a game one time and he's good. Without him, the team would suck. Well, it does suck. Our whole athletic department sucks. This school is too small for success. I start to daydream of cute scenarios with the football famous Liam Payne. Images of us iceskating and holding hands appear in my mind. I shake the unnecessary thoughts out of my head because I know they will never happen.

I walk into the class and sit in my seat in the back. I immediately put my head on my desk and drown out the annoying gossip that increasingly fills the stuffy classroom. I think of hot chocolate and watching the previous season of Castle on Netflix. I decide I'll just go back home and stand up, but a loud slam of the door signals that I'm trapped again.

I sit down and observe the other talking students. I have no friends in this class. I mean there's nice people, but I'm the worst at making friends. I keep to myself in nearly all of my classes. Definitely becoming who I want to be.

Second period was a blast as always. I literally drag my feet to third period. As I turn the corner at the end of the longest hallway in the school, I get knocked to the ground by a girl going the opposite direction.

"Watch where you're going dumbass!" My eyes are squeezed shut and a permanent grudge is in the middle of formation for the idiot who just gave Monday a cruel definition.

I open my eyes and see not who I expected. My best friend, Sadie, is staring down at me containing her laughter, but not trying too hard. Her white dress and flashy accessories make her look so elegant. I don't think Sadie has worn the same outfit twice this year. She puts out her hand and helps me up and I shoot her a loathsome glare. We slowly walk down the crowded side hallway.

"Take a chill pill, El. I was just looking for you."

"Well you found me. What's up, slut?" I bring in the sarcasm to show her that I did not appreciate our very painful, yet unintentional collision. She rolls her eyes like the name is nothing she hasn't heard before.

"I wanted to tell you," she lowers her voice as we approach my dingy locker, "I think Liam likes you." I throw my head back and a meaningless, bland laughter comes out and I give her the 'oh really' look. What a coincidence that she brings this up when I was daydreaming of Liam only hours ago.

"What in the world would make you think that?" Sadie looks disappointed in my reaction so I look away. Her makeup and flawless features intimidate me sometimes, I don't understand how someone so proper would want to be friends with a sarcastic potato like myself.

"It's just the way he looks at you.. which is a lot." I take her statement into consideration. I mean he sits in front of me in one class and we talk a little. He's also smiled at me a couple times in the hallways lately. I smile at the thought of the superstar jock having a crush on me.