Muffin

I get out of my warm and comfortable day to survive this life of adulthood. Sighing to myself, I put on my indoor slippers and walk towards the bathroom. I tidied myself and went onto a coffee shop to have breakfast. While I was on the way, I saw Mrs. Smith carrying her early haul from the market. I tried to initiate an energetic hello when I remembered, Oh, right. She wouldn’t recognize me. With a rather grim expression, I proceeded to the coffee shop. I went on to order my usual macchiato with a muffin and went to my usual seat.

I stopped myself from reminiscing my experiences because that would make me more depressed than I am now.  Why can’t I just forget?

I was in the middle of my thoughts when Cheer went on and brought me what I ordered. I glanced at her wrinkly worn down hands and her lovely ring that signified that she is indeed married.

I’ve been used to feeling like this but it still hurts. I’m in my twenties while Cheer is in her late fifties. Why did I have to leave her? I thought to myself.

“Need anything more?” She asked gently while opting to leave to serve another customer.
“No. Thanks” I said nonchalantly and watched her leave.

I continued watching her while eating my breakfast. She grows more beautiful each day, I thought. Though I continuously live a short life, I couldn’t find anyone to replace her. She was my wife after all. We vowed until death do us part and I am technically allowed to find another; while her, she is forced to live alone each day with a ring constantly reminding her that her other half is gone.
It sometimes frustrated me that she still wears that ring despite me being gone. She could have tried to find another but she just held on to our promise that we’d love each other until the end of our days. Telling her that I’m me is out of the question. She would never believe me. So now, I just continue to watch over her. The treasure I’m not allowed to touch.