Chapter 9 (Mark)

I looked at the burning building, with Felix still inside, pain pulling at my heart. Behind me was Jack, in the green painted car. Once he teleported is out — his strategy was smart though, making me pull away from the soldier to hug him so that she won't have her grip on me, letting Jack have a chance to teleport away — he immediately pulled away and locked himself into the car. Thankfully it was growing dark so he wouldn't suffocate in the car. At least, I hope that wasn't his aim.

The sun went completely down as the fire finally began to die down. Although the fire wasn't that far away, I didn't have the best jacket so I began to shiver in the night wind.

"Get inside," a voice behind me said. I turned around to see the car's window rolled down with Jack looking at me. I walked back to the car, opened the door to the rear passengers seat, and climbed inside.

"I'm... I'm really sorry about Felix," I began.

"Don't..." Jack interrupted. In the rear view mirror, I could see tears threatening to spill from his fantastic blue eyes. "Just don't talk about him for now."

I nodded and closed my mouth before I could do any danger.

We stayed in the car for around ten minutes before Jack finally revved up the car's engines. The fires had died, leaving a sight of blackened rubble. Jack drove us back down the road we came from slowly, to not attract any attention. We drove all the way back to town, where we stopped in front of an inn.

I left Jack in the car for him to collect his thoughts and went to get a room for us.

"How many people?" the elderly lady owning the inn asked.

"Two," I responded.

"How long would you be staying?"

"... I'm not sure yet," I admitted.

"Well, you can pay $15 now, and every night you spend, pay me $5, k sweetie?"

I nodded and paid her $15, thankful that she was so kind to me.

"Your room's upstairs, room number 16," the lady finally said after clicking some keys on her computer. "Here's your room key. Have a nice night."

I thanked her, taking the key and walking out back to the car. What I was found a sleeping Jack.

Sighing, I opened the door to the driver's seat, silently thanking Jack that he left them unlocked. I unbuckled his seatbelt and carried Jack back towards the inn, upstairs, to our room.

I unlocked the door to our room and tried to turn on the lights, all while trying to carry a sleeping Jack. I finally gave Jack a piggyback ride so I could have one of my hands free to do everything.

Once inside, the room a small couch, a single queen size bed, and had another room for a small restroom. I gently placed Jack onto the bed before stretching. Carrying someone is a pain for your back.

"Where are the keys, Jack?" I muttered to myself as I started to pat around for his keys. No I'm not trying to be a pervert, it's not like I should wake him up and just ask.

I finally found the keys in his jean's pocket, taking them and then throwing a blanket over Nack. Silently closing the door behind me, I went back to the car, grabbed the luggage and the bag and was about to lock the doors when I noticed some papers on the side of the car. Just to be safe, I took the papers and stowed them away in my bag before locking the doors to the car and heading back upstairs.

Inside the room, not much has changed. Jack was still in bed, but he kicked away his blanket which is really annoying. Sighing, I tossed the bag onto the couch and placed the luggage into a small closet. Then, I walked towards the bed to throw the blankets over Jack once more. I was about to walk away so I could sleep on the couch when I felt a hand grabbing my arm.