-Chapter Six-

_____

_____

I threw my head back in a laugh, finally giving up. Peter has been trying and failing to make me laugh for the last twenty minutes, using what he calls 'the best jokes in history' and really goofy faces.

"Ha! I got you! Now say it!" He whooped in triumph.

"Say what?" I pretended not to know what he was talking about.

"You know exactly what you're supposed to say," he poked my sides, making me laugh. I sighed in defeat as I mumbled the sentence he was forcing me to spit out. "I didn't hear you," he cupped his ear mockingly.

"Ugh. Pink Floid is better then The Rolling Stones," I mumbled.

"What was that?" He leaned his ear next to my mouth.

"I said Pink Floid is better than The Rolling Stones! Are you happy now?" I threw my hands in the air. He smiled at me with a laugh.

"Immensely."

"Now wipe that smug smile off of you face because we have work to do," I pushed his face away from me.

"But I don't want to!" He whined like a little kid.

"Too bad! Because we have a history project due on Monday," I laughed as he pouted.

"It's history! It doesn't matter right now!"

•••

"If you were a pirate, would you want your patriot on this shoulder-" Peter rested his arm on my shoulder right next to him. "Or this shoulder." He moved his arm so that it was wrapped around my me, touching my other shoulder. I snorted, almost choking on my water.

"That was the worst pick up line of them all," I laughed, flicking his arm off of my shoulders.

"I think you mean the best," Peter smiled.

Currently, we were laying around the library floor in the middle of an isle. We were supposed to be doing research for a history project, but instead were trying to our do each other with pick up lines. We were seeing if the terrible pick up lines would actually work on one another if a person said that to either of us.

"So is that a no?" He asked.

"Oh that's a definite yes. Whoever would say that to a girl has a lot of guts," I smiled from my upside down position. Peter was sitting with crisscrossed legs with his back and head leaning against the book shelf, my head resting on his lap.

"So you like guys that have enough guts to say dumb things?" Peter raised one of his eyebrows. I shrugged, turning the page of a random book I was pretending to read.

"I like guys that have confidence and aren't afraid to be themselves," I replied, turning the page again. "Chapter three. Dolphins are superior." I made a disgusted face, weaving my eyebrows together. "What the hell am I reading?"

Peter set his book down, straining his neck to look at the cover of mine. "Dolphin anatomy," he nodded.

"Remind me, what is our history project about?"

"The California Gold Rush," Peter scribbled something down on his notes.

"Are you seriously doing work while I'm reading about Dolphin anatomy?" I looked up at him. He peeked his eyes over the top of the book to look at me.

"No, you're reading about Dolphin anatomy as I'm writing down more pick up lines. Tell me what you think of this one," he set his book down and picked the note pad up. "Are you a parking ticket? 'Cause you have fine written all over you."

•••

I headed back to my hotel, letting Peter walk me back. Now that he knew I lived there, he insisted on walking me home. Since he showed up on my doorstep a few days ago, he hasn't asked any questions. I knew he wanted too. He had come close before, but always held his tongue. I didn't bother to tell him anything and simply let him assume for himself. He had only been friends for a little while. I wasn't going to spill my life story to him. I probably wouldn't tell him my story even if we had been friends for years.

I did feel bad about the fact that I had yelled at him when he came to my room. I was terrified he had found out everything about me and that I would have to run again. I've been at this school for two years already and don't want to leave now. I was determined to make it up to him, even though he didn't seem to care.

"Okay," I stopped him as we reached my hotel room door. "I feel slightly guilty about yelling at you-"

"I had no idea you were capable of feeling guilt," Peter joked. I glared at him.

"Ha, Ha. Now, I feel bad and want to make it up to you. How can I do that?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"Lyra, you don't have too-"

"I am offering you anything of your choice and you want to refuse it? You'll never get this option again," I shook my head. He sighed, scrunching up his face in thought.

"Okay. I want you to buy me a milkshake," he said.

"Seriously? That's it?" I asked, dumbfounded. He nodded, seeming content.

"Friday. Seven P.M. At the cafe on Rosen corner," he demanded. I shrugged.

"Okay..." I dragged it out. "I'll see you then."

•••

Author's Note:
The next chapter is when it starts getting interesting. Get ready!