Chapter Forty: The Best Present

In the middle of the night Daryl sneaks into the house. The silence fills his body with more cold feeling. He strips into his under clothes that are the only dry thing about him. He warms by the fire and looks at the stockings. Next to Beth's he sees his. He never imagined they'd make him one. There's a letter sitting on a mantle.

It reads...

To everyone who's ever had christmas or to some who haven't,

If you have no money or way of making a gift the best thing you can do is right down yer wish and put it in yer stocking so Santa will know what it is. Hopefully, if you believe hard enough, your wish will come true. Write yer wish down on a piece of paper beside this note. Put it in yer stocking and believe.

~ Beth

........

Daryl smirks at the thought. But looking at everyone's stocking, there is a letter sticking out the top. He eyes Beth's. He should read other's wishes, but he dearly wants to know. He looks around before pulling it from the stocking and reading.

It reads....

Dear Santa,

I know times are rough and many have stopped believing. But I haven't. I believe in you and God still.

I don't want anything for myself for christmas, not really. What I want is for Daryl to be happy. As of now and probably forever, he's gone. I hope you keep him safe and let him lead the life he wants. Let him find the best woman for him, and not let him feel pain any more. I ruined this thing for him, and I just want him to be happy. If there's anyway of that happening, please do it. I lost him cause I wasn't good enough for him, though he treated me like I was his world, I did more damage to him that I can't take back.

Please let him know I'm more than sorry and will always love him no matter what. Please take care of him.

Love, Beth.

........

He folds the letter back up and wipes his hand against his dripping nose. He grabs a piece of paper and a pen that was next to it. He sits on the couch and writes on the coffee table. He writes a letter and then places it in his stocking. Grabbing his crossbow and getting dressed he walks back outside and leaves. He doesn't look back. He can't.

Beth stretches in the bed and looks at the empty spot beside her. She hasn't touched it since he left. She just wishes he would come back so she could see him one last time. All of a sudden, her door flies open and Carl, Judith, and everyone besides Tyreese, Bob, Sasha, and Rick, climb into her bed and are screaming.

"Wake up! It's Christmas! Come one! There's presents!!" Beth is confused. Everyone knows that yet only it cookies and letters. She hops out of bed and grabs Judith, they run down stairs and she covers her mouth.

There are legit presents. Wrapped in paper and under the tree. Their stockings are filled and everyone watches as Judith's eyes light up at the sight. It truly was christmas. She goes over to Carol.

"Who got us these presents? I didn't think anyone left to go find a store. Did you know about this?" Beth says with a huge smile on her face.

"I...I don't remember anyone leaving. I don't know how this happened Beth." Carol and Beth join the rest of the group in the living room. From what they see everyone received two gifts from under the tree and in their stockings the cookies that were already made and their letters to Santa. As they sit around the living room each person opens their gift in amazement. Bob got cheese balls and a scarf, Sasha a small pillow and gloves, Tyreese, a new hat and a bag of non stale marshmallows, Rick a box of triscuts and socks, Michone got mittons and licorice, Carl got comic books and lucky charms, Carol received long socks and gummy bears, Maggie, a hat and a throw blanket, Glenn got a scarf and fortune cookies, which he thought was pretty funny considering he's Korean.