Chapter 5

~✽~

1 Week Later:

-Diana Fletcher-

I sat there by the window sill in the living room, watching the elegant snow dance its way to the ground. Snowflakes had made their home around the edges of the cold window, creating a beautiful, intricate pattern, that I loved to trace with my bare finger. Today was the day we were taking the train to Poland from where we lived in Germany, to find mom. I wonder what she must look like now, and how she's been doing, all alone. It must be difficult, but I guess it'll all be fine soon.

Sit tight mom, we're coming home.

Dad trudged down the steps, groaning as he and my brother hauled all the bags down. I went over to help them, abandoning my warm comfy seat by the window. We carried a backpack and a big old suitcase each, along with a couple other bags filled with the leftover things that couldn't fit. I grabbed the handle on my large suitcase and rolled it out. The wheels were worn out and the stitching had begun to fray on the sides. All these things belonged to dad's old family, and I bet leaving this house, especially for an indefinite time, must be hard on him.

I tried stuffing my feet into a long pair of boots, since dad insisted on us wearing as much warm clothing as possible. Unfortunately for me, I have no idea how to tie up my laces. Yes. I know. A 10-year-old who can't tie up her laces. I always got made fun of because of that.

I sighed at them not knowing what to do until Nico came in, shaking his head. I was expecting some snarky comment but I guess he just felt bad for me, so he bent down and began to tie them up for me.

"Watch closely." he told me.

He held both threads, his fingers flitting around, and tied a knot by pulling them over and under each other. Then he looped both laces and did a second knot, making a perfect bow.

"All done!" he chimed. I thanked him as I walked out, trying to visually replay the steps in my head. He laughed as if he seemed to read my mind and followed suit, and together we stepped outside, the cold hitting us right in the face. I made a mental note to thank dad later for making us wear all this stuffy clothing.

I looked up to sky, as I saw a million snowflakes floating down. Winter was truly my favourite season. I took a long breath of the crisp, cold air. The entire town was enveloped in a thick, white blanket. Fluffy mounds of snow settled on the branches of some tall trees and bushes. Some kids next door built a snowman and others were having a snowball fight. The adults were trying to heave the snow off the driveways and paths. We watched them work futilely until dad was ready to leave. He came out with the last of our bags, and fished out the huge keyring that was filled with keys of all sorts, finding the one that would lock the front door.

As we were walking away, I noticed him glancing back with a sad face. I think he was reminded of the time he left home to join the army, and never got to see the rest of his family again.

But now he's leaving with us, to fulfil the promise he never kept.

.

.

.