Chapter 9: Calypso's Treasure

We had suffered another stormy night. Thanks to Captain Blood Rain's excellent sailing skills, we managed to pass through and keep our junk unharmed.

Our current course led towards Cuba, where, according to Yao Lee, the captain expected to find the Shark Jaw Island.

Captain Blood Rain was still at the helm and my companion pirates were breathing hard from the exhaustion after having just fought a heavy storm. I caught the moment when no one was looking and slipped into the captain's cabin.

It was dark inside, so I easily hid in the shadows and began looking for some clues to find out what all that discussion was about back on Tortuga.

I carefully observed various books, maps, artefacts... but then, an interesting item caught my attention - the black-back notebook on the bedside table - the note that I had assumed to be a diary even back when I first woke up in the captain's cabin.

If the captain was hiding anything, it should be in this notebook of all places. I could already read a lot of Chinese, so I unfolded the notebook with confidence and greedily ran through the lines. I wanted to absorb all the information I could find.

"July 11. Monday.

Captain Cheng died."

Captain Cheng?! Did he really mean Pirate Lord Cheng, the greatest pirate of all China, and the very husband of current Pirate Lady Ching? Did Blood Rain serve under him in his young years?! Amazing!

"He told me about his greatest secret before his death. He said he was poisoned. I shall leave his message here, to always look at it and remember what my late master asked me to do, as his final wish:

"Xiao Lee, I shall soon die. I shall tell you my greatest secret, which I haven't told even to my very own wife. I was poisoned, so I don't know if I can fully trust anyone... but I know you are an honest boy, so I can trust you with closed eyes. That is why I chose you to tell you my dying wish. Promise me you won't reveal this secret to anyone. I succeed this knowledge only to you, my boy.

"During my whole life, I've been searching for the most invaluable treasure of all the seven seas - the treasure of Goddess Calypso. I did not know where it exactly was, so I sought for it in the deepest waters of all corners of the world. Alas, my search was vain. Now I entrust this task to you. This time, I know who might help you. I planned to go on this expedition on my own, but as you can see, I won't make it... not anymore.

"Calypso's treasure is a ship, Xiao Lee - a ship that shall permit his owner to become the successor of Calypso and the ruler of all the seas and oceans. 'His', because that ship is the strongest of all, and is the only vessel that one can perceive as a man rather than a woman, for it is the personal treasure of Calypso.

"To seek that treasure out, you must go in the Caribbean, and talk to a pirate named Jack Sparrow. Only he knows where that treasure is, as he has a compass that can show you your heart's desires. Talk to Sparrow, and ask him to help you. Tell him you are my dearest disciple, and please... please find Calypso's treasure, Xiao Lee... So that I could believe my life was not vain."

"I made him that promise, and he died in my arms. Mistress Ching later asked if he had said any final words to me which were of importance, but I hid the information about Calypso's treasure, just as my late master had requested. I knew he had entrusted me with that task, so I should be the one to accomplish it.

"Therefore, I shall find that treasure, no matter where it is hidden. I shall find Jack Sparrow, no matter where he sails. I shall assemble the crew right when I reach the age of adulthood_"

I heard the door creak. I shuddered and instantly shut the notebook. I put it back in its place and hid in the darkness.

The door opened and Captain Blood Rain rushed in. He grabbed his Dao sword and a pistol. I could hear how the pirates had started fussing on the board, preparing cannons.

Are we going to attack someone? I wondered. That was the only explanation - we used cannons only when we engaged in battles. The turmoil, according to the noise, seemed rather serious now, as if we were going to fight not some merchant ship or fishing boat, but a battleship. Maybe it is the Royal Navy? Or the East India Trading Company?

Captain Blood Rain grabbed his weapons and rushed out of the cabin. I waited for some moments and then sneaked out. Luckily, no one appeared to notice me.

I ran up to the side of the ship and looked at the horizon, wanting to know who the opponent was going to be.

Once I spotted the upcoming giant vessel with greenish sails and grim view, I understood everything, and almost fainted - it was the Flying Dutchman!
----

小 (xiao) - Little (Chinese). In China, it is used as a prefix to informally address young people.