chapter 5 - wendy

No trigger warnings or mature content in this chapter, so enjoy the fluff!! ♡

Wendy had been working for a really long time, searching every part of the web that she could to find info about her new case, yet she didn't find anything.

She leaned back in her chair with a sigh, "They seriously weren't kidding when they said this case was going to be tough.." she thought aloud, disappointed in herself for wasting all this time.

They barely knew anything about this case so far except for the fact that the killer goes after men only and wears a bunny mask. They didn't even know the gender of the killer because there had been no good witnesses.

Maybe Wendy could try and do some more digging about the bunny mask... Was the bunny significant in any way? Did someone sell the killer that mask of did they make it themselves? Wendy was too tired to think straight right now, though. It had been way too long since she had slept in her own bed and she would do anything for some more energy right now.

Stretching, she decided to just call it a day and grabbed her jacket to leave. She didn't even know what time it was but she had guessed that the sky would be dark out once she stepped outside.

The precinct was relatively quiet now, some people were still working at their desks, while others offices were completely dark. She noticed that the Chief's office was dark as well, so she assumed he must've headed home already.

Since Wendy lived fairly close to her work, she always walked home since it was only about a 15 minute walk. Plus she liked walking, it helped her think.

When Wendy got outside, the cold nighttime air hit her face and she shivered, wrapping herself tighter in her jacket. The moon was shining high in the sky and Wendy was about to start walking home, when she was stopped by a voice calling her name.

"Wendy, hey!"

It was the voice of a man and when Wendy turned around, she saw it was the Chief waving at her from across the street. Confused, Wendy waved back and made her way over to him and the group of detectives standing by.

"Hello Chief, everything okay?" She asked, fixing her bangs with her fingers.

"Wendy! You look like you could use a coffee right about now."

Wendy visibly relaxed when he said those words. "That's right, sir."

"Well how about you come join me and a few others at this coffee shop just a few minutes down the road." He asked with a smile.

"Ah, well I appreciate the offer and everything but I-"

"I insist." The Chief cut her off, still smiling at her. Wendy felt a bit uncomfortable at how direct he was being and she kind of felt like she had to say yes to him now.

"Ah, sure why not." She said shoving her hands into her coat pockets and the Chief nodded.

"Great! Let's go now."

-

As they were walking, Wendy noticed that among the group of detectives that were going, Detective Lee was one of them. He hadn't been paying attention when the Chief had called her over to join them earlier so he still hadn't noticed she was there. Wendy was hoping to keep it that way. She wasn't trying to get into another argument with this detective today. She just wasn't mentally prepared to be "sassy" anymore.

Wendy chose to walk a bit apart from the group of detectives, who seemed way too chipper for having less than 3 hours of sleep and working 24/7. She wondered if they were robots or something.

With a yawn, Wendy continued walking as she watched a few cars drive by. She hadn't even noticed the Chief lag behind to walk beside her because he didn't say anything to get her attention.