Never Letting Go

Lance and Keith were holding hands as they walked down the icy sidewalk through late January, talking and laughing as they received homophobic stares from parents. They just rolled their eyes and continued to ignore those awful people who were scared of equality.

The adorable couple finally reached the Starbucks that they were going to, Keith waited outside for his boyfriend. He sat on a bench, just watching the snow fall. Before he heard a noise.

Normally, Keith would've been unfazed by this odd noise. But it wasn't right.

The place around the Starbucks seemed too quiet. Like there was no one around and people were actively avoiding the place. Snow seemed to be falling heavier now and coming down in thick blankets or waves. A faint wailing was coming from an alley. Keith wasn't one to investigate much into stuff like this, but this was too suspicious to pass by.

Keith placed his handbag next onto the snow-covered bench and went to see what was causing the cries. He entered the alleyway to be greeted with a young woman with a woven basket in her arms. The young woman was hushing something that was in the basket and clutching it to her chest. Her only source of warmth was a thin piece of cloth. She looked up at him in a mix of fear and hope.

Shakily, the young woman got up and faced him. She leaned against the wall, one eye closed, and took in a sharp, short breath.

"Please," she pleaded. "Please take my baby and keep her safe. I can't take care of her anymore." She handed him the basket with a desperate look in her eyes.

Keith, completely shocked, took the basket from her and peeked inside to see a young baby, looking to be only a few months old. It was a girl, clear from the young woman's pronouns, and it smiled at him. Suddenly, Keith was filled with a motherly urge to protect, a fiercely burning flame that ignited inside him. Keith nodded and the young woman smiled happily, letting a single tear roll down her face that seemed to freeze within seconds, and she disappeared into a flurry of snowflakes, right before Keith's eyes. Keith put his hat on the baby to keep her warm, the motherly instincts telling him to.

"Keith? Keithy, where are you? I have the drinks!" Lance's voice called, luring Keith out of the alleyway. Lance spotted Keith and shot him a questioning look, silently asking him what was in the basket. Keith's fierce expression answered his unspoken question, telling him that they needed to get back home immediately.

Lance didn't bother looking in the basket that his husband was holding until they reached their car. Keith was clutching it too close to his chest for him to try anyway, but Lance was concerned for his husband and what just happened to him.

When the heat in Lance's car was turned on and warmed the old PT cruiser. Keith placed the basket onto his lap and took something small out of it. Lance heard faint crying from the thing that Keith was cradling in his arms, immediately figuring out what it was depending on the way Keith was hushing and comforting it. His husband was holding a baby!

"Shh, shh, it's okay, mommy's here," Keith whispered to the small baby, already claiming it as his own. Lance's husband looked up at him, tears and a pleading look in his eyes. "I'm keeping her, no matter what you say or do."

Lance wouldn't leave his husband, or a baby out in the violent snow of this particular January. Lance sure as anything wasn't prepared to be a parent, but he was willing to try. Keith recognized the determined look in Lance's eyes, so he gestured for his husband to hold their new child.

Happily, Lance accepted the offer and held his daughter and looked at Keith, who had an expression of motherly pride on his face.

"What should we name her?" Lance asked his lovely husband.

"Laith."