CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

"Is it just me or Owen hasn't stopped by since this morning?" mom asked when she passed me

"Is it just me or Owen hasn't stopped by since this morning?" mom asked when she passed me. She stopped at the kitchen's doorway, waiting for my answer. "Aria?"

I puffed out the air from my cheeks. With a heavy sigh, I said, "We... sort of... got in a fight."

She's already in front of me after my last word. "Fight? You and Owen? On New Year's Day?"

I rolled my eyes. "Mom, it's not like we don't fight. This is just something different from the others."

She nodded, somehow understanding. But I was readying myself to what she's going to say next. After all, she loved Owen and the holidays were the only time she got to see him too. "Whatever kind of fight you have with him, it's going to be okay. I didn't know about this fight so I have to warn you now. I invited the Gardner's for New Year dinner. Also, since you know you'll both be leaving again in two days, I want you two to hang out." The pity in her eyes was so obvious.

I grabbed the throw pillow and covered my face with it while saying, "Just go away, mom."

I felt her hand on my shoulder. "You'll be okay."

Of course that's what I wanted to think as well. Owen and I didn't like getting into a fight. Our worst fight was a petty one over a sandwich. That's during senior year. We hadn't fought since we got to college. I think it was because we were in a different state and all we did was update each other of our activities.

My phone beeped in my hand and a text from Isaac came through.

                                See you tonight?

Oh my god. I totally forgot I texted Isaac.

"Mom?" I called out. I went over to the kitchen. She's on the phone. "Mom, I have something to say."

"One second, honey. You'll be earlier than your parents, right?" She waited the person on the other end. "Yes, she's gonna be here and you both are gonna help me prepare, alright? Okay. I'll see you." She hung up. "That was Owen and—"

"Whoa. That's what I'm going to say..." I trailed off, looking away.

"What is it?" She frowned.

"I have a date tonight and I can't cancel it," I told her. I rubbed my arms as mom's frown deepened. "I'm the one who ask the guy out, so it's not like it's going to be easy to cancel on him just like that," I explained. I wouldn't meet mom's eyes. They were on slits and I felt like being stabbed in the back right now. She's going to scream at me anytime now.

She crossed her arms and let out a breath. "You can't go to this date," she said with an air of finality.

I chuckled but with no humor. "Mom, I don't think you have a say in it," I said, shrugging. "I'm just telling you because I don't want you to expect my presence tonight at the dinner table."