Episode Nineteen: The Nothing Letters

(author's note: hi dad, how are you? This new school is growing on me, even though you have to wear a tacky jumpsuit. They give you a diary here as well, just to write down your thoughts. I think it's fate's way of telling me to be a writer, so I've decided to write a book. I want to send you a letter whenever I can, and I want you to compile them, maybe do a little editing. When I come back in the summer I'll take it to a publisher and become the youngest best selling author! What do you think?)  

The Life and Times of Olivia Fineman

Chapter One

Being gifted isn't easy. You don't really get to live a normal life. Take me for example; I have to go to a prestigious gifted school. I had to move away from my friends, I had to miss semi-formal, and I probably won't meet the one. But like I said, being gifted isn't easy. I'll have to miss out on some things, but I've already accepted that.

Because of my abilities, I've started attending St. Lucia boarding school. I know, a school named after a Caribbean hot-spot; strange, but I'll take it as a good sign. I have yet to attend any classes, but Headmaster Hicks says that's normal. The programs are quick, so we start them late here. We're supposed to use this time to familiarise ourselves with the building and the property in the meantime. I think it'll be a great opportunity to make some friends. I'm fortunate that one of my many skills is communication; it's never been difficult for me to become quote-unquote "popular."

On top of that, one of my main gifts is in psychology. I can figure you out just by a couple looks and a small talk. I think that's the main reason I'm here: I can see both my Dad and the Headmaster wanting me to go into a government job after this. They probably want me trained up to do spy stuff or something. I'm ok with that, it sounds exciting--but I'll probably go quiet when that happens, so this book will be like a final goodbye to the boring normal stuff.

***

Chapter Two

I met two boys named Kevin Zhang and Grahm Caesey. They're nice enough, but Grahm is a little dorky. I met them over by Tigerlily Spring; a little pond on the property's northwest end. They were whispering about something or other, but whatever it was, it wasn't as interesting as me. Grahm was trying to converse a lot, but Kevin kept quiet. We hung out until the sunset. Kevin eventually told me he was from Korea, and when I asked him what he was studying here he said economics. Grahm said he was doing advanced biology. He also told me more about St. Lucia.

Apparently, the property used to be a holy ground of some kind. The mountain St. Lucia was built on was home to a coven of witches. Lillum, the town at the mountain's feet, was home to a church. There, Lillum county's own Lightworkers endeavored to drive the witches out of Ontario. This initiated the War of Ides. Grahm said the first battle of that war took place here, in the forest behind St. Lucia. I asked him where he learned that and he told me about the library. When he offered to take me there Kevin sighed irritatedly, and Grahm stopped talking about it. A little later on I saw a girl watching us from a distance. I said it was creepy, and Kevin got up when he saw what I was talking about. He went over to the girl and the two started talking. He held her hand before they left. Grahm must have seen my confusion. He told me the girl's name was Megan Chevalier, and how she and Kevin had a thing. I said I didn't care in the slightest.

***

Chapter Three

I took Grahm up on his offer. We went to the library in the early evening, after dinner in the cafeteria, but Kevin and Magan had beat us there. Kevin asked Grahm if he knew what he was doing. Grahm said I had a right to know. Kevin looked at me then back at him.