Episode Twenty-Five: On the Rocks, in the River

If you woke up to find yourself in St. Lucia's main archive, you would certainly think you'd been abducted by aliens. Or, at least Wolfgang would. The room was so large it encompassed numerous floors, filled so you couldn't grasp its size without a map. It was so beautiful that it qualified as the fifty-fifth wonder of the world. Those less occupied than Petra and Wolfgang might thusly pity those in the Meta, who only acknowledged seven or eight of the one hundred-thirty-three wonders (and growing). The archive was aglow with turquoise light. Twelve-foot shelves were placed in a circle around the circular atrium which exposed and joined the other floors, all designed in the same way. These shelves, however, were only so from the sixth foot up. Standard access terminals were stored below, from which one could read any of the physical texts stored above, anything referenced in those texts, and countless other related sources.

In the middle of the top atrium, the spherical central computer was suspended by a bridge. As Wolfgang was awestruck by his surroundings, Petra was first to see the figure occupying the bridge. Lord Sathanus, with a plasma-pike held firmly in his right hand, was guarding the computer. He turned his head in sync with Petra as she and Wolfgang took their place at the end of the bridge. Only then did the boy see what blocked the way.

"Whoa!" Wolfgang exclaimed, "What's 'at? Why's he standin there?"

"Run Volfgang. Get out of here," ordered Petra

"Run? And leave you with 'em? I ain't doin no such thing."

"VOLFGANG! I do not vant another child's bloodt on my hands. Go."

"I ain't doin no such thing."

Petra turned on her blade. She turned and slowly raised it to the boy's face. Wolfgang, wide-eyed and fear-ridden, could feel he teeth vibrating just being close to the thing. His eyes watered as the weapon's deafening hum popped his eardrums. The blade appeared hazy while in motion, and Wolfgang backed up a foot to be sure he wasn't within its reach. "I vill take you before he does, I promise you that."

Wolfgang didn't resemble a boy anymore, his face hardened with the maturity of someone facing the end and understanding it. He said nothing more as he backed further away. Petra turned to Sathanus and marched on. She soon felt something strange though; the Lord's energy was familiar. But how? Was this not their first meeting?

"Ms. Petra Faust," called the distorted voice, low and reverberating, "I'm honored in your presence."

"You know me?"

"Few don't...what's more...few are aware that you're still alive." Petra offered no words as Sathanus scanned her mind telepathically. "it's not so far-fetched when you think of it. You see how so many can be bought. We'd have paid your 'parents' more, but they wanted a child...we didn't need to offer much. You put them on the highest pedestal you can...is it because you think you're responsible for their death?"

Petra raised her sword to the Lord. "Lies..."

"Yes...lies. We're all liers. An Imperium built on and run by lies. Is that why you follow Hicks, is he the only truth in your life? He tells you all he knows...and you listen, silently hating while mindlessly trusting him. He tortures you...but you'll let him...as long as he gives you his truth, as long as he treats you like an estranged daughter...you'll let him."

"Lies."

"But what's it worth?"

"Stop."

"Would he not move on to the next...were you to die now?"

The girl clenched her teeth and charged the dark caped figure with a low growl. Sathanus activated his plasma-pike and Petra was blinded momentarily. The weapon clicked and snapped so that it sounded like an overcharged taser and the light emitted from the top of the pike could not be seen without protection. Petra changed her charge into a defensive swing. As Sathanus parried the strike, Petra cognized the danger she was in; the only discerning detail of the energy weapon being its green glimmer. This lack of perception would stay her offense, leaving her open for further taunting. Sathanus pivoted, turned and let loose a heavy horizontal swipe. Petra narrowly avoided it as loud boom erupted behind her; a piece of the bridge handrail having been melted.