The Sitter's Baby 2.4 - The Baby Shower Quickie

Chapter 4

Marjorie was a dick of girlfriend but she could shine. By the time that April had arrived at the McIntyre's for the baby shower, Marjorie had already been there for two and a half hours before the party to help Marina decorate. To April's surprise, the two of them were getting along splendidly. They were laughing and chatting about Graduation and Prom and any other way that Marjorie could turn the conversation to herself.

Finley was on April as soon as she was in the door, his copper curls bobbing as dashed up and threw his arm around her leg.

"You have a baby in you!" he cried out, proudly.

"That's right, little man!" April said as she picked him up and carefully cradled his little rump ontop of her baby-bump.

"It's like a birthday party for your baby," he said, clapping his little hands.

"It is kinda like that, isn't it!" she smiled down to him.

"Your baby has lots of presents!" He whispered, excitedly.

"Oh, good! I'm so happy!" She whispered back to her small conspirator. "Have you missed me, sweet boy?" She whispered, bumping her forehead gently against his as he played with a string of pearls around her neck – pearls that his father's credit card had purchased for the occasion.

"Uh-huh," he said. "Your boobies got huge!"

She laughed, "Isn't that great?" she asked.

"I like it," he smiled.

"I'll bet you do!" she giggled as she kissed his fluffy little cheek.

"Other Babysitter is booooring," he cringed.

"She has a name, you know?" April teased.

"So?" he whined.

"Soooo...and she is my very good friend!" April smiled assuringly.

"Can you teach her how to make my Mac and cheese?" he asked.

She frowned, "Marjorie knows how to make Mac and cheese. Did you ask her?"

"She can't make it like you can," he whispered back and then put his arms around her neck. Her heart melted. She felt obligated to tell him the alarming truth that KRAFT Mac and cheese came out the same no matter who made it – but she knew he wouldn't believe it.

"I love you, my little man," she whispered in his ear.

"I love you, too, Babysitter," he said in hers. And it wasn't compelled. It was real and genuine. A tear formed in her eye as the reality of how much she had missed him overcame her. There may have been pregnancy hormones involved, too.

"Are you crying?" he asked, snuggling against her.

She sniffled. "Sometimes girls do that," she admitted.

"How come? It's dumb!" He said.

She laughed. "Yeah, it kind of is. But I want you to start calling me April, from now on. Okay?"

Looking in her eyes, he smiled and nodded with an open mouth that betrayed his sweet and innocent shock at her indecent proposal.

She pressed her finger to her lips to show it was a secret. He did the same and then they enjoyed a playful tickle together.

April's Mom arrived late to the shower as did most of the guests and that was fine with April. A handful of ladies from the building showed up. April had registered at Target so most of them didn't bring something from the registry. They brought soft, expensive blankets and learning/development toys from Nordstrom's or Macy's. Obviously donors to Marina's clients. Marjorie was the only friend from school who showed.