"Brave"

*** Based upon the song "Brave" by Sara Bareilles ***

"(Y/n), stop reading those comments," Niall says firmly, shutting the laptop and setting it on the kitchen table.
He sits back down on the couch with you. You play with your fingers, holding back tears, as he sighs.
"Why do you do this to yourself?"
You shake your head.
"Me neither. (Y/n), they're just jealous cowards."
"It hurts," you croak, leaning your head against his shoulder. You hiccup as his fingertips gracefully trace patterns on your back. "It hurts."
"They're lying, (y/n). Nothing they're saying is true."
You nod. "You're right, I shouldn't let it get to me."
"Don't let them know its affecting you, (y/n). Because then they can't do anything about that."
You muster a small smile and kiss Niall's cheek gently.
"Honestly," he whispers, pressing his lips behind your ear, his nose to your jawline, "I just wanna see you be brave."
You smile, a real smile, and pull away. You stand and walk towards the laptop, opening it up and quickly opening a new tweet. You bite your lip as you try to think of what to type.
Niall appears by your side. "Be brave in what you say, (y/n)."
You look up at him.
"And let the words fall out."
Your fingers fly across the keyboard: "Just to let everyone know, I am very happy with Niall. Nothing anyone says will tear me apart. So think twice before you comment something that just makes you look like a coward. Thank you. :)"
Niall quickly pecks your lips. "The smiley face is a nice touch," he grins.
You giggle, closing the device and folding your arms; "Sure is."