Chapter 3

It sucks you know. Being a light sleeper but not a morning person. It's like I wake up at the most nonexistent sounds. A floorboard creaking outside of my room, if it starts to drizzle in the middle if the night, or if someone sits on my bed. And that's exactly what I felt.

I was jerked awake from my sleep, but kept my eyes closed, hoping I'd be able to fall asleep again. I was exhausted, and my head was pounding from a slight headache. Hangover. I then felt a small body on top of my own. Their chin was propped on their crossed hands on the middle of my chest. The feeling of being watched became too strong so I peaked one eye open to see my little sister, smiling hugely at me.

"You're awake! Guess what?" She whispered. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, sat up, bringing her with me so that I was cradling her like a baby, and tickled her a little bit. She laughed but quickly covered her mouth.

"Why are we whispering?" I whispered in her ear, smiling.

"Mommy said that she had a really bad headache so I had to be quiet. I don't want to hurt mommy." She whispered in my ear.

"Mom is home?" I asked seriously. She nodded her head.

"Yes. She got home a couple of hours ago. But guess what Drew?" She whispered excitedly.

"What?" I asked.

"It's five o'clock! Well, it's five thirty, but you looked so tired, I just let you sleep for a little bit extra. I was going to wait longer but Mr. Bearys wanted to see you! And plus, Riley is here!" She whispered excitedly.

I got up from my bed, picking her up at the same time and walked downstairs. We had to walk past the living room, where my mother was out sleeping, messily from what I can tell. I could only see her from the back so I didn't see her face. I moved her from my hip and sat her on the counter.

"I'm going to make some hot dogs for dinner, okay?" I told her. Her eyes lit up with excitement as she heard her favorite food.

"Okay! But we have to have dinner after the tea party." She begged me with her eyes. I gave her a small smile and nodded.

"Sure, sure. I'll be right back. Don't move." I whispered. I kissed her cheek and made my way into the living room, where my mother was currently knocked out on the couch and Riley was propped on the small dresser in the corner watching her with a strange look in his eyes. I swear, I didn't see him when I walked down here. When he saw me, he gave me a small smile, and made his way over to me.

"Sup dude." He nodded towards my mother. "Drunk again?"

I slowly nodded my head, growing angrier and angrier by the second.

"Go in the kitchen and keep Holly company. I'll be in there in a minute." I said darkly, walking over to my mom. I looked up to see him staring uncertainly at me.

"Go." I growled. He nodded his head and walked out. I turned my attention back to the slopply looking women in front of me, unable to mask the look of disgust on my face. I reached down and shoved her arm twice, jerking her awake. She sat up, her hair messy and her eyes bloodshot red. She managed a smile and then reached out for my hand. I snatched my hand out of her reach and crossed them tightly across my chest.

"How did you get home?" I asked harshly. I prayed she didn't say she drove.

"I-I drove back here." She said in a small voice. I shook my head at her. I mean, of course I'm disappointed that she drove drunk and I'm happy that she got home safely, but I'm not surprised that she actually did that. She's done it before. I waited for a couple of minutes, gathering my thoughts before I spoke.

"What the hell were you thinking." I growled at her. She sat up straighter looking scared.

"What's wrong baby?" Her voice cracking.