Chapter 10 - COMPLETE

I got to my third class of the day and saw the sign on the board.

No class today because of the club fair.

I let out a sigh and ambled down to the courtyard. There, I was met with the sight of dozens of tents and various students trying to convince others into joining whatever club they were a part of.

I started to make my way down the path. A few clubs yelled at me, but otherwise, nothing else. There wasn't really anything I wanted to do. I saw Gunn and Aru at the photography club tent, and Sehui and Mari on the dance team. Sua was running from the swim team, who were all chasing her with posters.

Music Club? Hm. I walked over and looked at the sign up list, then after some contemplation, wrote my name down.

"Welcome to the Music Club! We meet every Tuesday and Thursday from 5 to 6." The student at the booth said, handing me a pamphlet of some kind. "Of course, you aren't officially in yet. The auditions are a week from today, so be prepared!"

"Thanks!" I took the pamphlet and smiled. Auditions? Damn. This was intense.

I continued my way down the path, and it slowly grew more and more crowded. Eventually, I came to a point where it was impossible to move. I turned to a student next to me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"Oh, the Magic Team has opened up a spot for the first time in ten years. It's really exclusive and everyone wants to be on it, but they only take the strongest of the strongest. That's why so many kids are here. They're looking for a chance." The student replied.

I frowned and peered above the crowd. It didn't look like anyone was getting anywhere.

"Excuse me!" I yelled. "Coming through!"

Just a turn of the head and some fragment of school gossip was enough for those who were in my way to back away and form a path. Was I really that terrifying? Maybe for a first year.

"Who is our next challenger?" A smooth voice called out into the crowd. "Hm? This one?"

A tall, blonde haired boy with two different colored eyes strolled up to me and started circling me.

"Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, tryouts are always at Club Faire!" The same student yelled from the crowd.

Well, gee. That really helped.

The crowd tittered.

"What's your name?" The boy asked me. "You are quite brave for this, you know."

"I didn't come here to try out." I said, confused. "I just wanted to see what the commotion was about."

The crowd gasped.

"Oof. What a blow to the ego." Someone muttered.

"Hm? So you don't want to try out for the Magic Team? We are renowned in this world." The boy said.

I scowled. He was really getting on my nerves.

"Fine. I'll try out." I gritted my teeth. "The name is Phyna, just so you know."

"Oh?" The boy raised his eyebrows. "So you're the freshman many have been talking about. We heard about your little... Scuffle in the lobby from a few days ago."

The crowd shuffled uncomfortably.

"Alright. You may have beat quite a few people upon coming here, but don't get your hopes up. Let us begin." He chuckled.

Immediately, we were surrounded by a force field of some kind. He smiled.

"Rule one. In order to win, you must find a way to take down this barrier before I defeat you." He held up one finger.