Chapter 33

We were standing in the giant stadium, awaiting the results. Earlier, we had checked in on Tara. She was fine, but her head hurt and she couldn't remember some things. Raina had burst out crying when she had seen Tara forget who Leonard was, and things were overall not pretty. Eventually, Tara sent us away to wait for the results.

There would be no final round, according to the coordinators of the competition. I would be the first place winner, and my opponent would be the second place winner. 

However, I didn't like this at all. As the speaker droned on, I glared in the direction of Doe Academy. The offender was sitting there with his head high, as if he didn't do anything, and I narrowed my eyes. 

I glanced at Lily and gave her the signal. Lily got up and started to head to the restroom.

Shortly after the speaker finished his speech, I saw the offender from Doe Academy get up and head outside. I took this as my sign to leave, and met up with Lily by the North Wing.

"We're going to ambush him when he leaves and turns left." I whispered to her as we walked outside of the building and put on our masks. "Shh! There he is."

Quickly, we leaped out of the shadows and restrained him.

"LET ME GO!" He yelled.

"How are you feeling?" We laughed at him as he struggled. "Where's that Infernal Spirit now?"

"WHO ARE YOU?" He yelled. "That was an-"

"Accident? Yeah right." I snickered as he thrashed around the floor. "I think we'll just leave him here like this."

"No, put him in the dumpster." Lily said. "Where trash belongs."

"I didn't do anything wrong!" He yelled.

"To the dumpster." I snapped my fingers, and Lily picked him up and followed me to the back of the building. "Here."

We threw him into a giant green bin, and then closed the lid upon him. His screams continued, and we laughed as we walked back, peeling off our masks and slipping out of our baggy disguises. 

"That was fun." Lily said. "You're a genius."

"Yeah, definitely." I smiled and folded the clothes in my hands, then opened the door to the building. 

We made our way back to the arena. As we took our seats, half of our teammates shot us confused looks, while the others had knowing grins. This was a team, after all. We all knew what we all did, and if we didn't, then they weren't actually one of us.

"And finally, the grand prize goes to..." The announcer read off a card. "PHYNA FROM REINCARNATION HIGH!"

The stadium burst into applause and cheers as my team urged me to go and pick up the trophy. I smiled coyly and headed to the middle of the field, where I was handed a trophy and medal, and a box. 

"Congratulations!" The announcer shook my hand. "How does it feel to be on a level that battle veterans aspire to be?"

"Great." I smiled and spoke into the mic, then waved at the crowd. "Thank you for this opportunity. Thank you."

The crowd cheered and I walked off the field towards my team. They all greeted me with hugs and helped me gather my belongings. I felt happy for once, and carefree. Life was going well. 

"Aaaand... that concludes the International Magic Battles!" The announcer yelled into the mic. We all walked out of the auditorium as soon as he was done speaking, and headed straight for the hotel we were staying at. 

When we got to the hotel, we saw that Tara had recovered and had placed an order for all of us. We celebrated as we ate the food, and at the end of the night, I laid awake in my own bed thinking over the events of the trip. 

"Phyna?"

Tara's voice suddenly interrupted my thoughts.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"How... Why... did you think of doing that?" She said. "What if he dies?" 

"Your opponent from Doe?" I asked.

"Yes."

I didn't reply for a long time.

"We're a team. A family. And as a family, we keep an eye out for each other. We correct wrongs that have been committed towards us." I said.

However, something seemed to stir in my mind. Was that really the reason I had done that? Or was there some other sinister force driving me to commit such atrocities? 

"Was that really right though?" Tara asked, her voice quiet.

I thought for a bit. 

"Yes. It was."