Part 4: The gun-metal eyes

Rionna's breathing faltered for a moment from the speed of how their proximity was closed, Rionna felt like she'd used up all her courage today. 

Then she heard his deep voice. 'Is there something bothering you, miss?' He tilted his head and searched her eyes.

What for? She didn't know, but she couldn't really say anything to that when she'd been staring at his whole body in both times she was near him. He was surely older than her by a few years... he looked like he was around his mid twenties. 

'Nothing. Nothing's bothering me,' she replied. She could smell the dark spice rolling off of him...and it was intoxicating. Then she gathered up some courage and stared back into his eyes as well. 

It was then that Rionna realized he wasn't touching her at all. His hands were a safe distance from her head, and his form wasn't physically touching her, but he was close enough that she could absorb his body heat and breathe his scent with every inhale. This was bad. She was starting to show signs of crazy.

She was also trapped... but he was giving her a choice to move away.

He spoke again. 'Sorry. I thought I was mistaken by the way you were looking at me... As if you were going to eat me...' His eyes narrowed at the end.

Rionna was sure her eyes popped when he said that, and then went to explain calmly. 'Oh, no, I I'm really sorry about that. I admit I was staring at you and I'm so sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable.' Oh geez what was wrong with her? ' I could make it up to you by bringing you flowers tomorrow?' Where was she going with this? Clearly this was not her day.

'You'll bring me... flowers.' He looked at her flatly. 

'Umm...yeah. I run a florist shop with my friend and I could pick some nice flowers to make it up to you... if that's alright with you.' This was not going well.

'Interesting.' He looked slightly curious , but other than that, he still gave nothing away. Her palms began to sweat and she was sure her cheeks were flaming red by now.

She didn't like the silence. 'Um...I'm Rionna Huntwood, what's your name?'

'Jaxon-'

As the doors slid open and she could read Ground level, Rionna ducked under his arms and stepped out before she went further down to the underground parking levels. Then she quickly turned around to face him with a hesitant smile before the door closed in, 'do you want a specific flower or just any randomly picked by me?'

His lips parted as if he were about to say something but the doors closed and Rionna abruptly felt like pressing a button to open them again, so he could finish what he was about to say... or more like because she wanted to talk to him  and be around him longer...  What was wrong with her? Rionna was not one to stare at a man so shamelessly and didn't want that to start now. Not after she just broke up with someone not even an hour ago. 

Rionna took out her phone from her jeans pocket and scrolled through the names until she spotted the right one: SpicyMama

....

'Hey girl, what's doin?'

'Hey, Carrie. I'm going to take you up on that offer for pizza night at your place if it's still on.'

'Yeah honey, sure... you come right here and we'll also talk about what's got you sounding like roadkill tonight.'

'Thanks Carrie. I feel so much better now,' she said flatly...

'No probs, Ree. Now hurry your ass over to my place before the pizza becomes cold!'

Rionna could just imagine Carrie talking on the phone with a hand on her hip.