Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The sky was dark for early morning but nobody else seemed to notice. Our steps were quick and quiet as we made our way to the school.

"What exactly are we going to do there?" Max asks.

"We need food, and a place to sleep." Cam said loudly. We all shushed him and he rolled his eyes.

"Yeah but what about after that?" Max asks quieter than before.

"We'll have to see." Cam said with an annoyed tone.

We rushed across the street to the field that we would have to sprint across. I stopped at the edge if the thin grass that was a brown color.

"Dead." I mumbled.

"Where?" Max looked around and raised his knife.

"No I mean the grass." I looked down at the dead shreds that blew across my feet.

"Let's get going. I don't want to be spotted." Camillus sighed looking up and down the street.

It was silent. Dead silent. The breeze made a whistle sound that have you goosebumps and it brushed against your bare skin. I pointed forward and the boys went first. They crouched down and hopped across the field to the school. I waved for Sylvia and Rachel to go ahead of me and they nodded. After they were ahead of me 20 feet I started walking behind them. I raised my pistol to my side in case of an emergency. Cam and Mikey were in the middle of the field and stopped to let Max catch up to them.

"You guys ok?" I said loud enough for them to hear.

Each of them nodded and kept walking. I was looking at Sylvia and Rachel who were now only a few feet in front of me.

Suddenly Sylvia fell and started screaming. We rushed to her to see what happened. A Trailer had grabbed her leg and pulled her down.

"Get it off me!" She yelled and Rachel ran up to her and grabbed her arm. Mikey dropped his bag and grabbed a gun from his back pocket. He ran up to us and pointed it right at the Trailer's head. I closed my eyes and heard a loud bang and Sylvia stopped screaming.

I opened my eyes and saw the now fully dead corpse with its head blown to pieces laying in the grass.

I looked at Mikey and his face was in utter disgust. He didn't look scared or angry. His expression was blank.

"Are you ok?" Mikey asked grabbing Sylvia's arm and pulling her up into a hug.

"I'm fine, thanks."

"Let's keep going. Hopefully more Trailers didn't hear you scream." Max shook his head and headed back to Cam and Camillus. Mikey helped Sylvia get her stuff and ran to join the boys.

"You're sure you're ok?" I asked placing my hand on her shaking shoulder.

"Yeah I'm good. Just scared me. I'll be fine. Let's just get to the school." She nodded and I nodded back.

We finally made it to the bottom of the hill that the school was on. We made the climb up the grass and avoided the dead bodies that were piled along the top.

"God the smell is awful." I said holding my sleeve up to my nose.

"Someone's obviously been here. They know how to keep Trailers away." Max said examining the pile.

"Let's get inside the clouds are rolling in and we can't get caught in the rain." Rachel gestured towards the city that was covered in black and gray clouds.

I never really noticed how you could see our whole neighborhood and all the other stores and restaurants of our little town from up here. The breeze got somewhat cooler as we got closer to the school.