Aine's Quest

Get her, they hissed, get her now! Before it's too late!

 All around her, the voices screeched and cackled horrible things. Things about her friends. Things about her family. Her mother. Her little sister.

Rage boiled up inside her and she felt the urge to turn around and grab them. She wanted to rip them all to pieces one by one. How dare they say these things about people she loved!

 It was a trap. That was obvious. They were trying to make her angry, so she would turn around, and they'd get her. Not just with their words, but their magic was playing on the emotions already inside her, magnifying everything she already felt. Mostly her fury, but also her fear.

 Great. Now even her own mind was against her.

 She pushed herself more. Just a little farther, come on, come on, she begged her aching muscles. You can go just a little bit longer.

 The creatures behind her yelped in joy. She didn't have time to dwell on why or what it could mean for her. She could already feel it. She was slowing down. No! she begged herself. Keep going!

But her body was no longer under her control.

Tears began to stream down her face as her legs ground to a halt and she curled up on the ground, expecting death, welcoming it even, if she could escape this misery.

 The creatures, the monsters, gathered around her in a circle, shoving each other out of the way to get a better look. They began to stroke her skin then, with giggles all around, stab her, torture her, bite her, start to devour her flesh.

 The girl let out a sigh of relief. Finally, she thought. Finally, death has come for me.

------------------------------------------------------

My name is AInsley Hart. Not many people begin their live story with a death, but for me...

... the death of my sister was when my life truly began.