And We Break

And We Break

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death doesn't discriminate, between the sinners and the saints.
It takes, and it takes, and it takes, and it takes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's heavy!" A female student cried, sporting Gryffindor robes as she attempted to lift a heavy debris from someone that had been stuck underneath.

Astoria sped towards them, wand aloft, ready to cast a spell. "I'll help!"

Curses and hexes sped rapidly throughout the threshold. One spell after another came from either the mouths of Death Eaters or students who were risking their lives to defend Hogwarts. The sky had fallen a tinge of black, not even a star in sight as the battle ensued among the people down below-witches and wizards fighting for their lives; neither knowing which was winning at this point into the heat of the fight.

After she managed to levitate the debris off the person underneath, she saw a flash of a green spell speed towards her. Astoria dodged, watching the spell streak pass her, missing her by a hair. Within such a short time, she heard a Death Eater cry out a binding spell onto her. With a yelp, she flicked her wand wordlessly to protect herself from being binded by iron ties-its metal clanking soundlessly due to the noise in the threshold.

Her face contorted with anger, whipping her head around to find another Death Eater in her midst; wand aloft as if to send another spell at her. Though before he could mutter a single word, she pointed her wand and wordlessly sent a curse towards her attacker. A blue light emitted and zoomed towards the man, knocking him several feet away.

Before she could rush towards a group of Hufflepuffs fending off Death Eaters who outnumbered them, she felt a harsh tug on her arm. Astoria was about to cast another non-verbal spell at the assault until she saw that it was Hannah Abbott.

"What are you doing?" Astoria asked heatedly, attempting to free herself from her friend's hold as her eyes flitted back to the Hufflepuffs. They were girls from her year and were looking dreadfully terrified for their lives. "We have to help them!"

"They can handle themselves! We've got worst things to worry about-" Hannah's eyes were aflame as she pointed back to the castle. "The kids, the underaged ones-they can't get out! They're being attacked and fended off one by one! Colin's holding the forth, but he can't handle them for much long!"

Astoria's eyes widened nervously, her gaze shifting back towards the Hufflepuffs only to soon find that an Order member had joined them. She turned back to Hannah and nodded furtively.

The pair rushed past duels, docking spells and curses-Astoria with the defensive of throwing protection spells and Hannah about with the offensive of hexes and jinxes.

They sped into the castle, up the steps, then down a hallway where Astoria could hear the cries and screeches of small voices. Several witches and wizards, two or three years younger than her were attempting to throw basic spells at three Death Eaters that surrounded them. At the front, keeping their guard, was Colin Creevey. They all stood a few feet away from what looked like a gaping hole, likely one of the secret passages used to expel the underaged wizards away from the fight.

"You'll have to go through me, you sorry lot!" Colin yelled defiantly, waving his wand as a set of curses whisked towards them. With a cry of "Protego!", he had managed to rebound the curses towards the Death Eaters.