Chapter sixteen: The Smokey Bridge

It's been two days since Dazai left the Armed Detective Agency and went back to the Port Mafia to do his plan. The headquarter became more silent than ever.

The members of the A.D.A were doing nothing but to chill out and do their own business (which is out of work). Akiko Yosano was reading her book of medicine, Ranpo was chilling and drinking his soda while Atsushi felt like the floor became interesting. Kunikida was doing his work on his laptop while Kenji was taking a short nap. The other members were out somewhere for some reason. Detectives felt unusual with this situation while Edogawa; seems like he's enjoying it.

Since Dazai left, and (Y/n) got abducted, they only received few cases, and most of them are simple. The members inside the office are only waiting for their call and solve another simple case which they already expect.

Finally, an assistant entered the office and called for Ranpo.

"So you want me to solve for this rumours, spreading around Minato-ku?" President Fukuzawa nodded his head after hearing Ranpo's question.

There's a rumour spreading about the spirits, wandering around the smokey bridge--day or night--and caused several news about car accidents. This also became a bothersome to Yukichi since he used to pass across that bridge way to the other side whenever he's out of his work.

Ranpo sighed and sat down in front of Fukuzawa. Looking disappointed, he opened up his mouth to complain about this case. "Come on, I'm a detective--not a supernatural exorcist."

"This is the only tough case we have for now."

"Tough? I can only solve this with a single glance!----"

"Do not use your eyeglass."

Ranpo paused after he moved a lot of gestures with his complains. He wanted to believe that he only misheard  what the President said.

"Ha! Ha! Ha! You must be kidding! I cannot see things without my eyeglass."

"If you're able to solve this without your device, I'll give you promotion," answered Fukuzawa, hoping Ranpo would finally agree and do this work without any complains.

"I'm used to this. Promotion doesn't work anymore," fussed with a strong impression of 'I-just-don't-want-to-move.'

"I'll increase your salary." Without hesitation, Ranpo stand up and fired up in front of Fukuzawa.

"Alright! Smokey bridge right? Beside Anglo-French Church? Got it!" Without waiting for President Yukichi's words, he went out and slammed the door.

He left Yukichi alone, watching the door that was just slammed earlier by Edogawa, and tilted his head to his assistant who just gave him a new made tea.

"Thank you," he said as he look at his new served tea and noticed something small.

"Why is there a hard root again in my tea?" He asked his assistant, watching at the small cutted root floating on his tea. The woman smiled and looked amazed.

"Seems like you've been receiving good luck charms these days, President! They said it bring us long life and nice fortune!" Fukuzawa didn't fuss after hearing his assistant's the same explanation. But he started to prepare himself for the upcoming events after drinking the tea.

He blew some air to cool down his tea and starts to sip.

"It hurts."

A taxi driver was whistling his favourite song driving his taxi way to his destination. He drove his way to the entrance to the bridge, unbeknown to him of the fogs, forming to cover up the bridge.