Chapter 35: Stuck in Traffic

—Russia—

Breakfast was cut short when they heard on the news that Brooklyn was getting attacked. Rocket didn't get to eat so Sam was a little disappointed with it. The Avengers started packing things up and got ready to leave.

"I'm packing the steak!" Sam shouted, as he placed a plastic container in his backpack.

"Is that really the objective?" Natasha asked as she passed by him, holding two handguns.

"Yeah. We might get hungry, you know?" Sam scoffed, placing that bag in the Quinjet and prepared to leave. "We all set?"

"Take these." Rocket tossed Sam two grenades, "Those shoot out electricity which stuns. So that's useful against the purple chinned bastard."

"Thanks." Sam chuckled.

Everyone was almost done before Pietro showed up, looking worried.

"I spotted Chitauri soldiers. Their heading here now." Pietro warned.

"What's our time?" Steve asked.

"Five minutes. No, four minutes. We need to go before they grab the Soul Stone."

"Change that to thirty seconds." Quill shouted from the landing bay, as he saw forty soldiers running at the base. He turned on his jet pack and looked at Sam, "Start the jet!"

"I got your back." Steve said, grabbing his shield and running outside.

Steve and Quill ran outside while the others brought their stuff inside the jet. Forty soldiers stood on front of the two of them. Quill held a grenade behind his back and he nodded to Steve.

"If any one of you assholes want to leave, now might be the good time." Quill said. That only made them angrier so they aimed at Quill instead of both of them.

"I think you pissed them off." Steve whispered.

"Just noticed?" Quill scoffed and threw the grenade at the Chitauri. Around eight of them died in the explosions as Steve charged to battle, "This is not the way things should have been."

Steve got into the battle, attacking with fists and his shield. He dodged blasters with his left hand and his right did the work. Quill kept distance, shooting them with his two hand blasters. When he saw Steve needed help when three soldiers were holding him down, he threw a grenade which sucked them up. Steve grabbed his shield on the ground and he held on to it while the soldiers were being flung into the air. After a while, they exploded into pieces. There were still seven soldiers left and Steve took care of it. While he was dealing with four of them, Quill was shooting the other three who were bothering Steve. Once they were finished, they regrouped.

"I count fifty more heat signatures," Quill said with his scanner up, "Eight minutes out."

"Then let's get a move on." Steve said, placing his shield on his back. He grabbed the walkie talkie out of his holsters, "How long?"

"The damn engine is busted!" Sam answered, as Steve heard rustling through the walkie talkie.

"Engine is broken." Steve repeated to Quill. Quill's face turned worried when he checked his scanner again.

"They're really fast!" Quill said, grabbing his blasters out, "It just turned two minutes."

"We keep the fight here. The Soul Stone is inside the ship and I want it that way." Steve said.

When the horde of Chitauri came, two grenades were thrown by Quill which shocked them, keeping them in place. Steve charged into battle and continued his routine. Multiple punches and elbows. Two Chitauri soldiers grabbed his arms, but he used one soldier on front of him to boost himself up and kick the two. Quill hovered above all of them and combined his two hand blasters together to make a hand cannon. He reloaded it and shot a wave of them around Steve. Quill joined the fight on the ground and went back to back with Steve.

"How is this going for you?" Quill asked, getting rid of the hand cannon and going back to his hand blasters. "Need any help."

"Bomb". Steve ignored the question and put his shield on front of Quill. Quill attached a bomb that sticked to his shield. Steve threw the shield at a group of Chitauri.

"That was awesome." Quill chuckled, as twenty more came rushing towards them.

Before the Chitauri attacked, Wanda arrived and lifted them all into the air. She crammed them into one and threw them into the river. Quill was amazed and Steve picked up his shield and regrouped with Wanda.

"You really need help." Wanda pointed out, as the two walked up to her.

"What took you guys so long up there?" Quill asked.

"Packing." Wanda answered and Quill scoffed.

"Are you kidding me? It takes you fifteen minutes to pack a few things?"

"In order."

"Alright that's enough." Steve interrupted. "Is Sam done?"

"Almost."

"Then let's get a move on."

—Avengers Tower—

Tony and Peter were sleeping soundly on the couch in the tower. They weren't interrupted by the explosion in Brooklyn or anything that was related to the Chitauri. Tony was just there taking care of Peter until Bruce, Jessica and Matt returned. But Bruce broke the peace when he entered the room running in.

"Tony! Tony!" Bruce called out, as he ran towards them.

This awakened both Peter and Tony. Tony rubbed his eyes and sighed when he saw it was Bruce.

"This better be good, Banner." Tony said, standing up and stretching. Peter was still in bed, with his wound still fresh.

"It's bad, but I guess it's good." Bruce sighed and didn't feel like explaining, "Turn on the TV."

Tony grabbed the remote on the top of the small table on front of him and turned on the TV. He was still surprised there were still news going on after half of the universe is still alive. There was a helicopter in the scene in Brooklyn, capturing the battle.

"It seems like the X-Men and the Defenders joined forces to beat the aliens in Brooklyn. It is still unclear why they are attacking Earth at a time like this." The news reporter said.

Tony placed the wristband on his hand, "F.R.I.D.A.Y, is the Bleeding Edge armor ready?"

"I'm counting two hours, boss." F.R.I.D.A.Y. answered.

"Damn it." Tony muttered.

"Do you want me to put all my focus on to making the suit?"

Tony chuckled.

"What the hell were you doing while making the suit?"

"The security system, boss."

"Put the Bleeding Edge armor on the top of the list." Tony demanded, placing his Mark 43 on and looking at Peter, "Can you fight, kid?"

"Yeah." Peter faintly said, "I think I can fight."

"Then good." Tony now looked at Bruce, "Can you please keep an eye on the armor?"

"Can do."