Chapter 6

It had been a few days since I had freed the Tainted but not everyone knew. Word had been sent to every town but the outer towns were several days away. The Taint camps had been shut down and all of the Tainted were freed. Many of my brethren had been tortured too much to survive in this world and begged for their lives to be ended. I wouldn't cause them any pain so I asked Alicia to grant their wish and she had agreed that it would be better. The rest of the Tainted were being brought to one of the middle class towns where they could get jobs and start a new life.

I had visited James after Alicia had spoken to the town and sent word to the other towns. I thanked him for his help and for putting his life in danger to help me. I had then immediately apologized to Logan for lying to him and using him to break in. He hadn't been angry with me or disappointed instead he thanked me. I was confused at first but then he explained that he had told me about how to break in on purpose so that I would free the Tainted. He never told me why but I respected his privacy and returned to the Building to ask Alicia something.

"Alicia." I hung at the doorway of her chambers as she read through the reports of the Tainted.

"Yes Fletch?" She had long since dropped her formal tone with me and I preferred it that way.

"Is there anything that I am needed for here?" She put down the reports and thought for a minute.

"I don't think so, why?"

"I want to go and visit my family, to show them that I am safe and alive." I explained excitedly. Alicia put the report away and stood up from her desk. She strolled towards me and put a hand on my shoulder.

"Sure, of course you can go. Even if there was something for you to do here I would have let you go. You haven't seen them in ages and I'm sure your missing them tremendously." Her face wasn't very far away from mine and I struggled to find the words.

"Thank you." She smiled warmly at me and traced a finger down the scar on my cheek.

"You're always welcome here Fletch. You can come back whenever you want but don't stay away too long. I have a surprise for you for when you return." She whispered gently into my ear. Her cheeks turned red and I think mine had done the same. She stepped back and opened the door. I forced myself to slow down as I hurried through the door.

As soon as the door closed, I bolted down the stairs and flung myself out into the open air. I ran through the streets until I reached the checkpoint. A guard stepped in front of me, blocking my way.

"Identification and reason for leaving." He demanded and I sighed. I didn't have time for this. I stuck out my hand, palm face up and conjured a spark. It grew to the size of my fist before flying up into the air. It exploded and sent a spray of fire falling to the ground. The guard stepped back, shocked.

"Oh I'm so sorry sir, I didn't recognize you. Please continue." I refrained from punching him and instead patted him on the shoulder.

"Don't worry, I've changed since everyone first saw me and besides, you're only doing your job." The guard sighed with relief and I sprinted away again. The Travel platform slowly came into view and my heart leapt only to find the Travel already there. I flung my arms forwards and the flames sent me flying towards the Travel. The doors slammed shut and the Travel rolled backwards slightly. I outstretched my arm and a tendril of fire wrapped around the door handle while my hand grabbed the other end. The Travel shot away and I was whisked off my feet. My arm felt like it was going to be ripped out of my shoulder. I gritted my teeth and held on as the tendril of fire pulled me closer to the Travel.

My shoulder slammed into the outside of the Travel and I cried out in pain. I held the door handle tightly, my knuckles going white as we sped towards the next town. My home town was called Dalatike and it was the outer town of the middle ranked family. It was several stops away but the journey would only take about half an hour. My arm was aching but I desperately held on. The thought of seeing my family again filled me with the determination to hold on.