Chapter 3

Alex

For the last five years I have prided myself on being in complete and utter control ,yet only a few days since I have seen Willa and my control is shattered my life thrown into chaos as always when she is near.

In the few days since I have seen her I have had ideas that range from abduction to murder specifically the murder of Mark White ,the man who is currently the love om my life’s fiance.

Considering how bad I messed things up five years ago I can’t imagine that she wants anything to do with me ,also considering her reaction at the party was less than welcoming.

If I could just get her alone get her to talk me maybe I could convince her to give me ,give us a second chance.Unfortunately there was the little problem of Mark ,HR had sent over his file the guy’s career was quite impeccable which is why our company hired him.

My mind buzzed with different ideas ,ways to get Willa alone to talk to her.I walked over to my desk situated in my study the smell of freshly burned firewood permeating the air.

I took a seat in the genuine leather chair ,my study a symbol of all I had accomplished ,all the furniture of the finest quality quite the opposite than what I grew up with.My mom loved me very much but growing up we had our share of tough times which made me strive for something for myself one day.

I let out a long breath and then notice my calendar on the rich mahogany desk.A smile forms on my face as I realize the solution to my current dilemma.I reach for the phone dialing my secretary Mary.Mary has been with me quite some time now and is the first assistant who has acquired my respect she stuck out longer than any of the previous assistants , no matter what crappy task I gave her she would finish it in record time with an annoying smile.One could also say she has become my friend the only true one if I am being honest.

She picks up on the second ring her cheery voice filling the silence.”Mr.Stone ,you know very well I don’t like to be bothered on Saturday mornings.”I bite back a smile “Still recovering from last night’s party I presume ,besides it’s rather urgent ,you remember her...”my voice shifts from playful to serious.

“I see ,What would you like me to do ?”she asks and I briefly fill her in on the events of the last few days.

Willa

“A what?”I ask turning to face Mark ,abandoning the clothes I was putting away .
“A team building retreat, Willa ,apparently the company has one every few months to boost company moral and employee relationships.”he explains taking my hands.

“I still don’t understand why that requires me to go I am not an employee it’s silly”

“Your my fiance and the retreat is for employees as well as their partners ,I just started this job it will look bad if I am the only one there without my partner.”he pleads

“Mark , you’re fantastic at your job it won’t matter if I am there or not .”I try to reason ,something about this feels off like maybe this is Alex.

Mark’s grip tightens at the words ,and I see a flash of anger in his eyes “Baby ,please just do this for me,you always say you support me so you’ll do this.”he grits out the words .

I am surprised by the unexpected flash of anger ,it has happened quite a few times now and it has me worried about him.

“Yes you’re right I support you and you do the same for me ,just let me move a few things around in my schedule.”I smile leaning in to kiss him.

When I close my eyes giving myself over to the kiss I’m unsettled by the fact that I immediately see and feel Alex.I break away from the kiss heading to the closet to pull out a suitcase for the company retreat I am now going to.Something in my gut tells me this is only going to cause trouble.