Chapter Six

Chapter Six

My sanctuary

Building silence between my mother and I only seemed to proceed. She's lenient most of the time, but today going anywhere seems unencounterable. My mother's ignorance is as blunt as mine, but if there is one place she will reluctantly let me attend it would be the church. Good thing the presence of such a place I thoroughly enjoy. I loafed around a while eating breakfast before I said a word to my mother. Aunt Tina gave me a simple but happy "good morning" when she walked in. I scattered the syrup around my plate and finally found the courage to speak to my mom.

"I'm going to the church today, ok?" I let my fork fall in the silence. She turned on the faucet and dropped plates into the hot water. Our sponge was old so she tossed it in the trash bin and grabbed another from under the sink. I was bewildered by her actions from the beginning when I realized she was doing dishes in the morning. Plus there were only two bowls and spoons to wash. I glared at Aunt Tina she's the only one in this house who could possibly know what's going through my mom's mind. My hope was really she would talk to mom for me. She must have read the plea in my eye.

"Melanie?" Aunt Tina is never steady. Some days she's on my side, other days not so much.

"The keys are on the piano." My mom retorted. My eyes widened afraid to even say thank you. I swirled my syrup around one more time and pushed back my chair. Aunt Tina politely snatched my plate furtively. She patted my back and then grabbed on to my arm.

"Go on honey." She pushed me away to leave. Why was my mother even hesitant about me going to the church? I do it quite a bit. What's the big deal? The way she completely ignored me was just rude. It's possible I can't blame her for that, after all I did cause it. All this stress I put on her. What have I done? What can I do? Forget it; she should know already I'm not giving this up. Those people in that hospital don't need pills or any other medical attention. They need to know they are not too far gone. They may have been lost but when I show them the love of Christ, they will be found.

Arriving on the premises I was already sinking in the quietness of a peaceful soul bound place. The place I can find a way to disburden my troubles or pain lurking in my inspiration; the place of my sanctuary. My dad use to tell me every time we prayed. "Prayer is like a weapon." I had to concur, after all at the end of every prayer I feel secure. As I bent down to channel with my thoughts I heard the church doors creak open. I heightened myself to see Cheyenne peering through as still as a mouse. The sovereignty of her voice when she finally spoke was weak.

"My mom said you were here." I could overtly see something bothered her. I waited in the wordless space between us. "I had a strange dream last night."

"What was it about?" I was quite curious.

"Ok, well I was at a swimming pool. Actually you were with me I just can't remember how or when you got there cause you came when I least expected you." She was a bit side tracked with that for a minute but then she proceeded. "I was about to jump in, I was falling in actually. When I looked down to see the water," She choked. "Well there was none. It was an empty pool full of hands, reaching out for me." I tried picturing it. "I was falling for sure, but then I felt a tug on my arm. It was you Jane!" She refreshed her eyes by blinking. "After that I woke up." I took a moment to think about it hoping I could interpret the dream for her, but I had no answer.

"Why don't we pray?" I suggested.

"I really don't want to." She sounded apprehensive like I was about to get mad or something. I just breathed in first and then responded.