Chapter 6: Ice Cream Is Cold?

This story was previously called A Lost Love.

Nick's Point Of View:

It doesn't take me long to reach a decision; I head for the park. Maybe today Elizabeth will tell me all of the questions I had been wondering about since I have met her. She can't avoid me forever.

More importantly, I'm wondering about Melanie. If she asks about my face I could always say that I slipped and fell. It's the oldest trick in the book so I realize that she wouldn't believe me. That's kinda like saying your dog ate all of your homework. Although, after years of using that excuse, my crazy eighth grade teacher had actually bought it. But Mel wasn't Ms. Wacky Wellington, she was smart.

I could say that I had a run-in with the Mafia and they tortured me because they suspected I held some secret information that could destroy the world. It seems like a good idea but there is one problem. If it did work, I would then have to explain how I got out of such a brutal situation. That's too much planning.

Maybe I could say how aliens had abducted me and while they were flying me up towards them with their white beams, my head hit the spaceship and it dropped me back to the ground. That could have caused my black eye and bruises. Eh, I don't think she believes in extra-terrestrial life so that idea can go down the drain.

I'm thinking too much about this. She might not ask me any questions at all. Mel could just be so involved with Charlie that she doesn't even look at me. I'm hoping for that one. I also hope that she doesn't expect me to go to that bonfire tonight. I'm not in the mood to be bombarded by my old friends all wondering how I've been doing and how come they haven't seen me. Let's not forget everyone in our small town knows about my mothers death so I will have to deal with them pitying me especially because of yesterday's date.

I hear shouting and various curse words so I know that I am close to the park. It really is a perfect day to be out since there are no clouds in the sky plus there is a nice breeze. After adjusting my cap to make sure my face is hidden from view, I walk towards the benches where I am sure Charlie will be. I immediately see a tall figure with golden brown hair laying down on the bench. I yell over to him and he looks at me, then starts walking over. His face is a mix of shock, confusion, and worry but quickly replaced with a smile once he got closer.

"Nick, you decided to come after all." He was obviously smug because he thought that he was the reason for my sudden participation in life. I haven't spent a Sunday hanging out with the guys since my mother and I can't help but feel a tinge of guilt. They all tried to be there for me but I couldn't handle it. They all walked on eggshells around me to the point where I felt I would explode. I did the simplest thing my 17 year old self thought to do; I cut them off.

"I had some persuading. So when does the game start?" I ask, looking around the field. The guys were clearly starting to pick teams because they all looked agitated. Some had noticed my appearance and started to stare at me and whisper to one another. After my old friend, Jared, yelled something to them, they stopped.

"Soon. Some of them left to get everything they need for the bonfire tonight but then we'll start. You are coming, right?"

"No." I answer quickly. "I'm here, let's not push anything."

"Oh well, at least I made you come here." He smirked.

"Actually," I begin, rubbing the back of my neck, "you didn't. Mel kinda forced me. But hey, she should be here shortly and then you could see her."

"She's what?" Charlie screamed. That's definitely the opposite reaction from what I had in mind.

"She's coming with Elizabeth." I answer waving my hand as if it's no big deal.