Chapter One

The first few rays of light hit the car, blinding him, causing him to look away. He failed. He didn't find her. The driver next to him inhaled sharply. He glanced over to find an annoyed look on his Alpha's face.

"What is it, Antonio?" Antonio knew that Alpha Logan didn't like delays, and was especially anxious to get back home, but he couldn't help that the car needed gas.

"Alpha, I need to stop to refuel." He paused, but knew he had to keep going as Logan was on edge. "It will take us another half hour more to get back. The nearest gas station is far off the highway."

Logan inhaled deeply, and exhaled slowly. If he wasn't going to be with his mate, he wanted to wallow...alone. He wanted to grieve that he would be without his other half for longer than he needed to be.

"That's...fine. Just try to hurry." Behind him, Christopher held back a scoff. He knew that being without a mate put a hole in your heart, but his Alpha was being dramatic. His own mate was an orphan that had been in so many houses, she didn't believe in love. It took him three years before she even considered going on a date with him. Logan's mate couldn't be as bad as that.

The car stopped at a nearly abandoned gas station. The only other person was an employee who stood outside the small booth, heavily smoking a cigarette, not even noticing the car pull up. But when she did, the cigarette fell from her mouth. Antonio rolled down the window and produced a hundred.

"Fill it up with as much as this will buy."

"Well sure, sugar, whatever you say." A heavy Southern drawl fell from her lips as she looked at the bill in amazement. Swiping the money from his hands, she made her way around the car and got to work with newfound energy.

Logan heard Christopher mumble something about disgusting humans and money. But his attention was caught by a scent that didn't belong in the environment. Curiously, he looked around. Movement on his left forced him to look that way.

He locked eyes with her across the lot, breathing deeply when he did. There she was. Finally.

But then, just as suddenly as she appeared, she disappeared, leaving him with the faint scent of apples and the burning image of her brown eyes.

"No," he choked out, his wolf whimpering at losing his mate as quickly as she came. Where did she go? Why would she leave at his time of need?

"Alpha...she's human. Your mate...she's human."

The moon goddess paired the king of werewolves with a human?