Chapter 4

"I may hate you forever for this," Christy hissed as she adjusted her costume.

"I'm willing to take the chance." Brittyn stuck out her tongue as she sauntered around the room in her devil costume. It was fitting, of course, because they were obviously in Hell.

Christy had rushed home from work, showered and put on a costume she had never seen before. Apparently Brittyn found it online and she said it was all planned out.

Things had moved comfortably slow between James and her in the past few weeks. She hadn't stayed the night since, though they did go out on dates together since. He was always the gentleman unlike the first night they met.

Christy's hair was elaborately pinned up with braids and curls. Brittyn added a few more flowers in the glossy locks before standing back to check out her work.

"What am I supposed to be, anyway?" She looked down at her fuchsia dress that matched the flowers in her hair. It was embellished with gold chains and satin ribbons.

"It's a surprise."

"A goddess, I suppose, then."

"Let me just say it's fitting."

"Ugh!" Christy was flush as she tried to get her gold sandals on, which were not cooperating in the gauzy dress. Brittyn quickly helped her with the fasteners before ushering them both in her car.

Once inside the car, Christy turned the air ducts to her face, trying to cool her flush skin.

"Let me tell you a story," Brittyn grinned as she pulled out onto the road. Her glossy red lips and horns really made her the devil she was most days. "Once upon a time there was this nerdy princess who thought she had met a prince but instead she met a toad, warts and everything. She couldn't understand why her prince preferred the mucky waters seeking out lotus flower after lotus flower, but he did because that's what toads do."

"Lovely story," Christy's lips lined in contempt.

"It has an HEA, promise. Anyway, this girl would spend all her time in her flowery gardens, tending them herself and in her anger she avidly shooed away anything that wanted to come into her special place. I am sure you get the euphemisms there."

"Who wouldn't?" She gave a side eye glare.

"Anyway, she was so distracted tending to her own garden and doing her work that she didn't realize someone was watching."

"Oh, how a voyeuristic stalker makes this all the more romantic."

"Don't knock things until you try them." Brittyn sneered before continuing. "He was not the kind of guy that anyone would choose, nor did they ever really notice him. But it didn't matter. He knew the only way to get the girl was to sweep her off her feet and whisk her away which should be knock her off her feet... literally, so you can't run away."

Christy felt her heart beating as they pulled into the club and they noticed everyone- everyone was walking around like some sort of devilish demon. They all had horns of all different colors and their costumes ranged from slutty to severe with dark Gothic colors.

"What is going on?"

Brittyn parked the car and pulled out her phone, typed in a short message before she turned to her friend and put her hand over Christy's hand. "This is your whisking away, my dear." Brittyn got out of the car and Christy followed her, walking toward the club.

"My what?"

But before Brittyn could answer Kyle opened the door and stood in a black suit with nothing demonizing him except the horns on his head. "Welcome ladies. He's been waiting." Poignant eyes stayed on Christy who felt horribly out of place as he held open the door. He moved to Brittyn's side and took her arm in his.