Chapter 4 - The Song and the Memory

Kitana's POV

Ava and I walked down the stairs and made our way towards the couches where we could see many people sitting. Through the crowds and the noise I noticed a group of cute guys whom I kind of recognized sitting together on the couch, but when they stood up, grinned and waved us over, I was really puzzled. I looked over at Ava confused, but realized she smiled and waved back and was now leading me towards them.

"Hi!" The cute blonde one with a happy Irish accent greeted us.

"Who might your lovely friend be, Ava?" A curly haired boy with the cutest dimples winked at me, his gaze tracing over my body from head to tow and back up again. I felt my cheeks flush and turned my head to the floor to hide it.

"Hi guys, this is my roommate Kitana." I smiled at the boys as they introduced themselves. How could all of them be so good looking? I thought to myself.

We all talked for a while, but it had turned into quite the party in here so it was rather loud and hard to hear over. There was people of all ages on the X Factor, so alcohol was accessible from the kitchen and although us minors weren't allowed it, it was easy to get our hands on so with enough rowdy drunks it was pretty hectic. Music was blasting and people were all singing along and dancing so finally Liam suggested we move outside.

We walked through the door into the cool evening air, and although it was summer in England it was still fairly chilly. A small fire had been lit in the outdoor fire pit, so we gathered around it on the patio couches. I sat down beside Harry and Niall, while Ava, Louis, Liam and Zayn were all seated opposite us.

We made small talk for a while, but every conversation led to each of us doubled over in laughter. Half the time I didn't even know what was so funny! As the evening drew on though, we all began to shiver so Ava offered to run up and grab us some blankets. When she came back down, we instantly all bundled up and thanked her, before I realized she had also brought down her guitar.

She began to gently strum, causing us all to fall silent and just listen as the chords rang through the air. I closed my eyes and lay my head on Harry's shoulder, not wanting to ever move and just lie here and listen forever.

Ava's POV

When I ran back up to the room to grab the blankets, I hesitated on grabbing my guitar but at the last minute decided to take it. I mean, what's a fire without some music, right? After everyone had cozied up, I softly plucked the strings in the tune of that one melody that I had known for so long. 

I realized that I hadn't played the song in nearly a year, being so caught up in preparations for the X Factor and all, but all the same my father's song was far from forgotten.

I closed my eyes and lost track of time, and how long I sat there I don't know, but by the time I stopped the stars had come out and the sky was pitch black. For a while, everyone remained silent and all that could be heard was our synchronized breathing, when Liam spoke.

"That song..." He began slowly. "It's beautiful, yet, almost... sad..." When I didn't answer right away, he carried on with asking, "What is it?" 

"It's nothing, really... It was my fathers. He used to play it for me every night." I sighed, remembering. Everyone just left it at that and I was grateful, but I couldn't stop remembering that Night when I first met Zayn and noted that that was the song I had been playing, and I wondered if he remembered, even after all this time.

Zayn's POV

The song... I thought. I remember... 

My mind flew back to that cold night on the street two years before, crusted snow on the ground and holly hanging throughout the town.