Chapter 5 - The First Songs

Ava's POV

He sat there, unmoving. I knew right away just by the faint silhouette of his jaw line who it was. Arms wrapped around his knees that were pulled up to his chest, eyes raised, and shallow breaths rising and falling from his lips. A thin trail of smoke swirled around the cigarette he held in his hand, the tip burning with the fiery embers. Stars speckled the sky in dancing patterns, and he watched them.

I stood like a shadow, unmoving and hidden in the dark. He looked so peaceful, so deep in thought. I shuddered from the cold breeze that bit at my skin, and pulled my sweater tight around my body. His face was lit up by the faint glow of the pool light below and the moon above, the rest of his figure left black.

Suddenly, he broke from his trance and I followed his gaze as he turned towards a notebook lying beside him, scrawling something over the page. I squinted my eyes trying to make out what he could be writing, when I realized he wasn't writing at all - he was drawing. The pencil scratched across the parchment, the only sound in the silent night, and his hand guided it gracefully forming the perfectly imperfect lines that made up the picture. 

His brow was furrowed in concentration, and his deep brown eyes were glazed over, lost in his work. There was something about his expression... I couldn't put my finger on it, but it resembled the very look he had worn that night on Christmas Eve. Zayn, a small boy again, unguarded, free of mind.

It was then when he looked up, meeting my eyes. I froze, knowing he saw me, but not wanting to move. He held my stare as a flicker of surprise crossed his face, before breaking it and turning around to face the horizon once again. I hesitated, but after a moment I slowly stepped forward towards the edge, taking a spot beside him, not saying a word. 

The roof was fairly flat, and I dangled my legs over the edge and leaned back on my elbows. The smell of smoke filled my lungs and I fought the urge to cough, but soon he stubbed it out, the fresh air filling me once again. I tilted my head towards the sky and closed my eyes, listening to the hushed rhythm of our breathing as one.

I don't know how long we sat there, just watching the stars, but soon I found myself fighting to keep my eyes open, the drowsiness enclosing me. I stifled a yawn, causing Zayn's attention to turn to me.

"You should get to bed..." He said quietly. I nodded my head and forced myself to stand, taking one last look at the view before me. I slowly turned my back, not wanting to leave, and began to walk away. Only steps from the door though, I turned around once more, knowing I needed to say something - anything - to let him know my gratitude.

"Thank you." I stumbled, his head turning to face me, his eyes looking as though a thousand memories were flashing before them.

"For what?" He asked, his rough voice sending shivers down my spine as he tilted his head slightly off to one side. I shifted my gaze to the ground, before pulling it up to meet his once again.

"For everything..." I whispered.

Not wanting to wait or a reply, I quickly gave him a shy smile before mumbling, "Goodnight, Zayn." I watched him nod before studying me once more, and he looked as though he was holding back from something before he answered back in a calm voice.

"Goodnight, Ava." He gave me a small smile before I turned around again, this time completing my route to the door, and slipping back inside to my warm bed that awaited me.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *

Kitana's POV

"Ava, Ava wake up!" I shook her, and finally her eyelashes began to flutter open.

"Why..." She mumbled into her pillow, causing me to sigh in frustration.