Year 1: Chapter 10

This is close to how I imagine Mandy's appearance, except with grey eyes instead of green!

-Leaven

Paige had to wake up Willow the next morning at half past seven. Willow was trudging sleepily through the hallways five minutes later, completely disoriented and confused as to why she had slept so long. Normally, her body didn't care when she went to bed, forcing her to get up at early hours even when she needed the rest. Paige found it quite amusing.

"I thought I was the meanest anyone could get in the morning."

"Shut up."

"You still owe me."

Willow cracked a smile. "I'm aware."

"You know I can make you do anything I want."

"And I'm willing to do it."

Paige smirked. "You better be. I'd watch out if I were you."

"Okay."

The two girls reached the Great Hall. It was so empty compared to usual, the tables only housing a handful of students each. Willow recognized a few girls at the Ravenclaw table.

"Mandy, Lisa!" she called. "You're staying on for the Holidays?"

"I'd rather stay here than go to my Godawful house," Mandy said, as if it were a plain, cheerful, everyday thing to say, catching Willow off guard.

"Do you want to come sit with us?" Willow invited, noticing that they were the only first years at their table.

"Sure. Come on, Lisa."

Mandy and Lisa got up and situated themselves to the left of Willow. Harry, Ron, and the Smith twins were across from her, shyly trying not to make fools of themselves in front of the pretty new girls.

"Oh, come off it, you two," Paige snorted. "I will give you two something to turn red about."

Lisa, Mandy, and Willow giggled while the boys gawked at Paige. She simply ignored them and pulled out a book, laying down with her head on George's lap, who didn't even seem fazed by it. The other pair of twins stared expectantly at Willow.

"Sally and Samuel Smith, this is Mandy Brocklehurst and Lisa Turpin," Willow introduced.

"Nice to meet you guys," Mandy greeted, shaking their hands from across the table. Lisa, being her usual skittish self, simply nodded in the twins' direction, a shy smile spreading across her face. It didn't seem to bother the Smith twins.

Willow, Mandy, Lisa, and her fellow Gryffindor friends chatted and made small talk throughout breakfast, mainly getting to know a few things about one another. Ron and Harry never lost that red tint to their cheeks, however. Willow helped the conversation along by changing the subject constantly, being used to smalltalk and trying to turn it into conversations. Lisa even spoke a few times. By the end of breakfast, everyone's spirits were a bit higher. Willow was about to walk out of the Great Hall with her friends when she realized that Lisa hadn't eaten a bite the entire time. She quickly grabbed an apple and caught up with the dark-haired girl.

"Lisa, did you forget to eat?" Willow asked.

A momentary expression of panic flitted across Lisa's face, but she covered it well. "Oh, silly me! I might have."

"Here," Willow said, tossing her the apple. "I forget every once in a while, too."

Lisa caught the fruit in her hand and gazed up at Willow with warm, watery brown eyes. "Thank you, Willow."