Chapter Four

Salmon lived in the outer chambers of the temple for a few months more until he was able to learn the Egyptian language. He was often assisted by Rahab, whose duties also required her speak to local language although she was Canaanite.

"How long will your training in the temple take, Rahab?"

"We have to attend the fires, clean out the ashes, help stretch small animals on the horns of the smaller altars. We watch children to pass through the fire of Moloch at his temple."

"What about your younger sister, Rahab?"

"Something about her puzzles me. Girls smaller than my sister work the same as I do. But they took my younger sister to the Temple of Moloch where they treat her like Pharaoh's queen. She gets the best food, and she sneaks some of it to me at night.  Then her clothes are made of a rare weave called silk. She sings songs about being United with Moloch even when we are able to play together."

"Does she like it?"

"Too much, I think."

"I think your sister will not see her husband or give her body in pleasure like you will someday."

A week later, Rahab brought Talliya with her to be with Salmon.

"Good-bye, Talliya," Salmon said. "I must become a soldier soon."

"Why, Salmon?" Talliya drew back after giving him a hug. "Do you believe this is your last time to see me?"

She then turned aside to play with Rahab while Salmon fought tears when he thought what would happen to Rahab's younger sister.

"Such beauty surpassing my lovely Rahab. For that reason she will face unspeakable horror too soon." But neither Rahab nor Talliya could hear his words because of their laughter."

The next week Salmon signed in at the Egyptian Army Camp  in his shepherd's robes, staff, and knife. They marveled that he could sign his name. But they rolled on the ground in laughter at the spectacle he made.

"What have the gods sent to Pharaoh's Royal Army? A joke in rags? A desert rat not good enough to feed to the crocodiles?" They roared and roared as Salmon took a stoic stance that seemed to invite combat.

From the back room walked a huge Egyptian soldier in a headdress such as adorned a Sphinx  with wicker shield and drawn sword. "If you can get past me, you might someday be a  warrior in Pharaoh's Imperial Army."

Salmon made no outward show as the big warrior rushed him with sword raised as if to strike. When there was no time for the Egyptian to dodge Salmon's movements, he crouched.  He caught the big man's ankle with his shepherd's staff, causing the momentum of his body to roll over his shield as it pressed against Salmon.  As he passed over Salmon, he dropped his bronze sword, which Salmon was able to reach with ease. Other Egyptians laughed aloud.

Salmon then held the warriors sword near his prostrate attacker's throat. "Oh, magnificent soldier, you dropped this. Please take it back."  He then reached out his hand to help his embarrassed opponent. "Teach me to use it to fight something besides bears and lions, which prey on my sheep, brave soldier."

The big defeated man stood in appreciation of Salmon's restoring his dignity. He grabbed Salmon's hand and lifted himself up. He looked around to faces that no longer smiled in ridicule. Then he looked back to Salmon.

"Welcome to the best army in Ra's world. He extended his hand. "Some day you must teach me how you upended the best warrior in Pharoah's army. My name is Thoth." From that day Salmon and Thoth were mutual friends.

Rahab in the following weeks that her father often had tears in his eyes when Talliya ate with the family. When she could no longer bear his increased grief, she took him aside beyond the hearing of her sister and mother.

"Talliya, is going to die, father? Why?"

"Taking time for Salmon cost the temple treasury, I must pay it back. The high priest of Moloch says the price was more than I can pay back. No loan, no time. I must give Talliya to the god."

"Oh, father, Salmon was right to say that soon I would be without the love of my sister."

Yassib looked away. "We must all be with her as we give your beautiful, unblemished sister to Moloch in the temple."

"What if we refuse?"

"The high priest will kill our family--and Salmon with us, my dear Rahab."

On the appointed day Yassib wrapped Talliya in a purple bundle after feeding her the best food she had ever had. She had been given a drug to confuse her. Rahab and her mother walked behind their father as they entered the Temple of Moloch amid singing and loud music.

Moloch's huge image loomed over everything in the temple. He was made of copper, reinforced with a bronze skeleton within for strength.  His massive bull's head shorter fire and smoke while a voice piped in by a priest uttered a frightening, but language no one but priests claimed to understand. Moloch's arms were extended above a round pit of fire that reached almost to his arms.

After Donatiya kissed Talliya, a tearful Yassib handed the purple bundle containing their precious daughter to a bald priest in white linen. He took care to place Rahab's sister in the cradle formed by Moloch's massive arms as the singing and music became so intense that Rahab almost covered her ears. But she wanted Talliya to hear her voice one more time.

Rahab knew what was going to happen next as the bald priest stepped behind the fearful, demanding, bloodthirsty image of Moloch. Rahab was forbidden to substitute herself to the consuming fire in place of her sister. And failure to give up Talliya to the hungry, greedy Moloch meant death to Rahab, her parents, and even her sister.

"I love you, Talliya!"

Rahab stood in tears as the priest pulled a lever from behind the image as the festive singing, flutes, drums, and cymbals reached their maximum intensity. A counter weight built into Moloch's copper likeness allowed his might arms to lower Talliya with near gentleness.

Then after Talliya "passed through the fire" of Moloch the whole temple lit up a crimson red with worshippers cried out one last time. Rahab's mother and father turned away as their precious daughter's high-pitched screams of aging penetrated their ears in spite of the festive noise.

"Praise to Moloch  and Ashersh who give us rain and plenty!"

Rahab turned away unable to contain her crying. Over and over she repeated words to herself.

"Moloch. You destroy everything beautiful in this world!"

Rahab was filled with memories of her beautiful, dead sister as she walked from the Temple.

"I hate you, Moloch!"

"I hate you!"

"I hate you!"