Chapter Thirty

Salmon and Caleb moved in an indirect route during the night because the the full moon was so bright that the gentle slope down toward the Jordan offered no way to conceal their escape from Jericho.

With caution they were able to locate blind spots , areas where Jericho's gate guards could not observe their movements. So again they sought the protection of the hills above Jericho. They were find their way among trees and waded through the many streams of water. Stopping, they filled their skins with water. Then they filled themselves with bread loaves Rahab had provided.

At length they came to the narrow path that travelers used between Salem (the future Jerusalem of David) and Jericho. Although they passed some travelers during the night, they were challenged only once.

"Who are you stranger?" A man with a sickle sword stood in their way.

"A friend of Moloch," Salmon said.

Salmon's accent was unconvincing, for he drew out his sickle sword. Then he approached Salmon and Caleb with the sword in both hands.

"Surrender to me!"

One swift move from Salmon caught his leg in his shepherd's crook. He came down with a crash. After tying up their would-be attacker, they left him off the road. By the time passers by found the Canaanite, Salmon and Caleb would have crossed the Jordan River to safety.

"Once we are safe, everybody may know. It won't make a difference whether I killed the Canaanite or let him.live."

Rain best with fury from what had been a clear sky.  The original fording site at the Jordan River was swollen with water.

"Hold onto my sash, Caleb." Salmon was able to throw a rope so that it caught on a tree branch. Salmon pulled them to safety.

Within three hours they were at the Hebrew encampment. Joshua welcomed them. "Do you need food and rest before telling us what you found?"

Caleb stepped forward. "It's just as you and I reported to Moses. The Lord God will give us the Land of Promise beginning with Jericho. The people cringe with fear in their hearts. They will be as men made of chaff before our warriors. The Lord has already given Canaan to us."

Salmon and Caleb shared details of Jericho, the number of towers and how strong the gates. The numbers of soldiers. That included information that Rahab gave them.

"Spare Rahab, the woman who bore me a son. Who loves The Lord God of Moses and who saved our lives. Her house on the wall has a sash like this in the window. She deserves to live and live among us as my wife," Salmon said.

"Salmon, Joshua said, "we will not hold her past as a harlot against her.  Eleazar the high priest will bless your marriage for her bravery in service to our people."

Joshua then called in the tribal elders. "The Ark of God will rest with the Wilderness Tabernacle when the priests are not carrying it into battle. Tomorrow we will cross the Jordan River and eat of the produce of the land for the first time.

As Joshua led the Hebrews to the Jordan, an armed man met him. "I am a Captain in the Army of Moses' God."

"We seek God's power when we cross over," Joshua said.

"Set your staff on the river," he said. "Behold again the Salvation of the Lord."

As Joshua placed his staff Moses gave him in the water, the water stopped flowing.

"Let the priests carrying the Ark of God stand on the dry river bed until all your people pass over into Canaan."

Joshua did as the angel commanded. After the last of the Hebrews passed, the priests walked to the other side bearing the Ark.

The Jordan River resumed flowing.

The Mana no longer fell from the sky to be gather after they began to eat from Land of Canaan.

Rahab ceased allowing her slave master to send her men to lie with her. She refused, saying that she was having her monthly issue of blood. Just to satisfy her master, she sacrificed birds to the God of Moses. Then she fed them to her family.

When her master came, she showed the sacrificial blood on her clothes.

"When will you be able to accept men into your bedroom?"

"I hope never, master.  The God of Moses will deliver Jericho to the Hebrews."

"Do you not fear, Rahab?"

"What does matter?" Rahab put her clothes in a bag. "If I do not live to wash these clothes, at least I will no longer be a slave in death."

Her master stormed out of her house. "You will regret this insolence after we defeat the Hebrews!"

The next morning the people of Jericho stood in fear as the Hebrew army followed Joshua and the Levitical priests began the first of their daily matches around Jericho.

"They are too afraid to attack," people said.

As the silent throng kicked up dust below Rahab's window overlooking the wall, she could make out Salmon wearing part of her red sash as he at the head of one thousand soldiers. People jeered the Hebrews for not attacking.

Salmon could see Rahab looking out her window. She would not wave but put her hand to her cheek to indicate she had seen him.

With the puzzled Canaanites still meeting, Joshua led the Hebrew army back to their camp.