Glass Cufflinks Are Weird Mementos

~Chapter 8: Abagaila~

Abagaila saw him the moment he entered from one of the side corridors, sliding along the outside of the crowds. Ember wore a silver vest and strange mask tonight, bringing out his already striking eyes. She made he way towards him, excited.

The crowds parted to let her through. She descended on him, worried that he would escape again. She saw a look of panic in his eyes at her approach. He should be worried, he'd left her in the middle of a dance after giving her vital information of a threat on her country. She would get the rest of the story out of him, even if she had to detain him herself.

She grabbed his hand, finding it as cold as ice and as limp as death. She noticed that his cufflinks were made of glass. "What did you mean about your warning last night?" She whispered, pulling him close.

He looked over her shoulder, paling. If it was even possible, his hand became colder. "I need to go." He mumbled.

"You," Abagaila held his hand tighter, "are not going anywhere."

"The creatures are Tragoons." He looked her dead in the eyes. She saw panic and fear. "I don't really know what they are planning except that they are after the throne, your throne." He tried to pull his hand from hers, his gaze was already over his shoulder again.

He smiled at her, but his eyes seemed to glaze over. "I'll explain everything later, Your Highness." Then, he was gone. His hand pulled from her weakened grasp.

"Wait!" Abagaila yelled after him. She followed hiking up the fabric on her skirt, shoes clicking on the ballroom floor. A cold feeling constricted her chest. Something was wrong, and she couldn't keep up with Ember. He weaved through the crowd towards the large glass doors that lead to the gardens.

Ember slipped outside, just as Abagaila noticed a young man in blue vest slip through the doors after him.

Her arm was caught, and she was pulled back. She spun into the arms of Rynn. He didn't look happy. "Where are you going, Your Highness?"

"I have to go after him!" She pulled her arm from his grasp. Leaning in closer, she whispered what she had learned from him. "He said Tragoons, and I think that they might be here at this moment in time."

Rynn looked concerned. "Then, I can't just let you go after him. It could be dangerous!"

"I know that!" She turned away from him. "I just can't let him get away!" The feeling of dread was growing in her stomach. It was confirmed that Tragoons were after her throne after two hundred years of peace. She had to follow that man. She had to get the answers herself.

"Please leave this to me. If the Council sees you in this state," Rynn whispered, glancing around at the people that watched them, "then any information that you obtain will be blown off as hysterics at the boy who wouldn't dance with you."

Abagaila felt like she trapped between a rock and a hard place. She needed to follow Ember and know all that he knew about the Tragoons. She also had to earn the good will of the Council so that she could be respected as the future Queen. No, she couldn't just run into this head on. She was going to stride over to the garden with the grace that her station required.

"Rynn," she spoke loud enough so that everyone could hear her, "would you be so kind as to escort me to the gardens. I am in need of some fresh air."

He raised his eyebrows at her, surprised at her sudden calm demeanor. "Of course, Your Highness." Raising his hand to take hers, he guided her to the glass doors. The crowds parted and whispered behind hands as she walked. She could only imagine what they said.