Plans Always Change Over Tea

~Chapter 1: Abagaila~

"Courtship?"

"Yes, Your Highness, courtship," The King's steward shifted his gaze from the window to the princess.

The princess, Abagaila Luthia Elixia Wincasdon, placed her hand delicately on the back of the chair that she stood behind. "Courtship?" She asked again, trying to keep her voice soft. Panic was rising in her throat, threatening to burst out in angry yelling. The hand gripped that back of the chair was in a vice-like grip while that other was trying not to wrinkle her light-pink day dress.

The steward, if Abagaila remembered correctly was named Chrispoer, raised a thin eyebrow at her. "Your Highness, is your hearing leaving you?" The portly, balding man spoke slowly, as he stared out the window into a garden below. Above his large, curling mustache, his cheeks faintly glittered blue. He adjusted his navy-blue coat jacket, pulling it further down over his large stomach.

"No, not at all." Abagaila looked over her shoulder to the head of her personal guard, Rynn, who also raised any eyebrow at her. His sharp features and glittery blue skin gave her some courage. "The idea just startled me, that's all."

She forced her hand to let go of the chair. Compared to the half-nymph steward across the room, she was taller and slender. Her light hair was skillfully curled in a braid around her head. Having shortly arrived home from her two years studying abroad, she was more than shocked at the idea of courtship. Even more shocked by the rude tone used by the steward.

Chrispoer sighed and looked to the heavens as if he was asking for help. "Her Majesty the Queen, has already prepared the social gathering for tomorrow for you to become reacquainted with the nobility," He stiffly bowed. "Now, Your Highness, if you'll excuse me, I have other business to attend to." The steward turned sharply, exiting the room, his shoes clicking evenly on the marble floor.

"I forgot how much I hated that one," Rynn said from behind Abagaila, his nearly silent footfalls approaching her.

She turned to look at the guard. His skin held more blue glitter than the steward's, showing his nearly perfect nymph heritage. His uniform was nearly black with the royal crest above his heart. It'd been years since he had worn that uniform. His hair was almost silver, and his dark eyes had laugh marks.

Abagaila plopped down into the chair that she had been using for support, doing her best not to ruin her dress further. "You wouldn't consider courting me, would you, Rynn?" She said with her head in her hands, a headache was beginning behind her eyes. After nearly two years of study abroad, she had been more than happy to arrive home. After arriving home that morning, all she wanted to do was take a long nap. However, marriage seemed to be at the forefront of her mother's mind.

Rynn let out a hearty laugh, "Your Highness is fully aware that I am nearly two hundred years too old for any human to marry."

"That is all to true." Abagaila sighed. "I just don't want to marry a stranger or someone of noble birth just because they are noble."

The man placed his hand gently on her head, "I understand you're feeling, Your Highness, but you have to think about what is best for the kingdom. Your kingdom." She pulled her head away from his hand. Nymphs had the ability to read minds when they touched someone. Rynn couldn't quite read her mind because of his human heritage, but he could still feel her emotions,

Abagaila leaned back in the chair, looking up at the guard. "What if I don't want to marry?" She whispered. Then she stopped and stood up like lightening had shot through her. "No, the better question is: what if I don't want to marry a noble?" She repeated, smiling. "What if I don't want to marry a noble!"